Adobe Flash Player latest version and IE 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by oma, Nov 6, 2010.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

2 days ago I installed IE 8.

Needless to say that prior to the upgrade from IE 7 to IE 8, I only used IE for Windows Updates.

Yesterday I went to YouTube and the message told me: You need to upgrade Adobe Flash Player to watch this video.

I had already the latest version but checked the Add and Remove programs and NO MB are shown there. I uninstalled it and did a reinstall (so I thought).

Same thing.

Additionally, when going to download in IE 8 I don't get the message about an active X but another one to a download manager or something like that?

Needless to say, I tried to download it so often, googled and saw that many had the same problems and some were lucky that the fixes offered worked for them.

However, none of the fixes worked for me, too numerous to mention the fixes I tried. I've been trying now for almost a whole day to fix it and it got me nowhere. :cry :cry

I really need some help here. Please and thanks.

PS: Same version Flash works flawlessly in Firefox and Pale Moon browsers

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Oma

have you fully uninstalled Flash completly and done a ccleaner (cleaner and registry) clean of the left over files, then re-installed both the IE and Firefox versions of Flash?

My boilerplate for this is below.

What security apps do you have installed, please name all? reason for asking this is some can block registry additions and this can cause many issues, so maybe uninstall IE8 and see if IE7 still works for Flash video, then disable your security apps and update to IE8.

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

Hi Halo,

Followed your advice to the letter from top to bottom. Alas, no luck!!

In IE 7 I get the same message at YouTube. :(

I always thought that IE always had Active X, regardless of the (latest) versions?

I still don't see any MB at the Add/Remove Programs.

Security Programs: PC Tools+ FW, Free Avast v 5 (latest), on demand SAS and MalwareBytes.

I still don't understand why I don't get a request to set an Active X when I want to download Adobe Flash Player in IE 7 and IE 8, just a DLM or something like that. Perhaps it's disabled in my "settings" in IE somewhere?

Thanks Halo!!

How do I go forward with this? I was inclined to start using IE 8 more often and now this. Many with the same problems went to FF or Chrome. That's not the solution/point though. Yeah, I'm stubborn, otherwise I would have said.... enuff is enuff.

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

Sorry, I forgot to add a pic to my last post to show the Adobe's in Add/Remove Programs.

Attached Files:

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

Finally found the culprit! ME!! :cry ;) Me dummy. :-D :-D :-o

In SpywareBlaster there is in "Flashkiller" a box that one can tick to "Disable and Block Macromedia Flash in IE". It must have been ticked by me ages ago since I never used IE 7.

I unticked the box and voila, FLASH WORKS NOW ON YOUTUBE IN IE 8!!

Sorry Halo for all the work that I have caused you. :-o :(

Never mind the 12 hours that I spent trying to fix the Flash problem. SOLVED!! :major

6. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

12 Hours now thats a Geek for you oma, give yourself a pat on the back ! :-D:-D;)

7. oma

oma MajorGeek

LOL
    Who would've thought that it was such a simple solution eh? 12 hours to fix this doesn't sound Geeky at all. Must admit it was a brilliant idea to look in SpywareBlaster. :cool Never mind, as I said, many just jumped ship, although their problems probably were different, yet similar to mine. I didn't do that - just persisted - being stubborn as a mule finally paid off. ;)

8. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Glad you fixed the problem yourself!

Regarding the FP Add/Remove Program entries, there are no size information. This is most likely because FP is a browser add-on, not a standalone executable program.

9. oma

oma MajorGeek

Me too. :-D Yeah, there could be so many reasons why the FP wouldn't work.

That makes sense. Thanks!

10. automatinc

automatinc Private E-2

A simple fix:

After Installing Flash 10.xxxxxxx, restart Internet Explorer.

Within InternetExplorer, start at the toolbar at the top:

Click on Tools
    Click on Manage Add-ons
    Find Shockwave Flash Object
    Highlight it by left-clicking on it once
    Below that Sub-window, click on "Enable"
    FlashPlayer will now run.

If the word "Disable" was already there, this solution won't help you.

The problem wasn't in Explorer or your FlashBlaster, the default setting within the FlashPlayer download is "Disabled". Adobe sure could have saved many hours had they not had their heads up their arses... except that since they now only provide phone support for MONEY, there is an incentive for them to make things difficult.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds