Adobe Flash Player.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eldon, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Wonder how Firefox users will update Flash. At present you have to download the installer, you cannot simply run it online.

3. Eldon

Not true.
    To check, I broke one of my golden rules.
    I downloaded the online installer, ran it, and Adobe Flash Player Plugin was updated to version 20.
    Flash Player.jpg

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

For security reasons with Firefox, you cannot 'Run' a download like you can in IE, you need to download the installer first. Once downloaded and run, the (web) installer then downloads the appropriate files and begins the install.

When installing Flash and other plugins, it's best to do so with your browsers closed - (Alt) File > Exit. Even better, run the uninstall routine for the old install first.

Eldon likes this.
  5. Eldon

Thanks satrow.
    I mistakenly thought all online instals require an installer to download, and then that will download and install the software.

Earthling,
    I misunderstood your post. My apologies.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Well, putting it like that you are not mistaken - that is what happens, but with the subtle difference that Flash won't actually install until you have located and run the downloaded web installer. You still have to keep your internet connection live but at least, as Satrow has said, you do get the chance first to close your browser. It is misleading though because the initial download link has a big yellow Install now button, but it doesn't. Confusing innit? :D

7. Eldon

Yes. It only downloads the web installer file. With your internet connection enabled, you double-click the file, and Flash will install. Not exactly Install now. :oops:

Hopefully Adobe Flash Player and Microsoft Silverlight will soon be replaced by HTML5 video. Don't hold your breath... :rolleyes:

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I download flash activex and plugin put them on a USB stick and move from computer to computer to install. I do not need an internet connection to run the exe files I download.
    Here are the links I use (put in a code box because a download popup window appears)
    Code:
    http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_20_active_x.exe
    Code:
    http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_20_plugin.exe

StruldBrug likes this.
  9. Eldon

plodr,
    The purpose of this thread is that after 22 January 2016, you will not be able to download the .exe (redistributable/offline installer) files.

10. satrow

Has anyone checked access to the Adobe public ftp site (for either the individual full installers or the all-in-one ~180MB package), I've not been able to access it, asks me for credentials which I don't have?

11. MrBene

MrBene Private E-2

Recently I had a problem with Adblock not being able to block any ads on youtube or any website. The customer support told me that the problem was related with Flash not automatically updating on my Chrome. I had to manually install it downloading the .exe. I hope this whole "we wont offer .exe anymore from our website" wont be a problem for Chrome in the future.

12. plodr

I have never used ftp for flash. I found a post from 2011[/]
    Flash Player is served from the macromedia.com servers, e.g.

Unfortunately the 'anonymous' user does not let you in, so you need a userid/password.

Apparently this is not something new. Someone asked how to get a userid and password and this was never answered. I think you need to be an enterprise customer.

satrow likes this.
  13. satrow

Thanks for trying, plodr :) I'll take another look around for the Flash ESR closer to the expiry date.

14. Eldon

The bottom line is, after 22 January 2016, to download the Adobe Flash Player offline installer(s), you will have to be an enterprise user. The latter requires a license.

Also, "Please note that starting December 1st, 2015 you will be required to create an AdobeID to request an enterprise distribution license."
    http://www.adobe.com/es/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

And, "The application will take a few minutes to complete and will require you to provide general information about your intended use of Flash Player. At the end, you will be provided with a link to the installers by email."
    http://www.adobe.com/es/products/players/flash-player-distribution.html

15. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

What about the Adobe client that runs automatically on boot and so on? Will that still work? At least it could point to the Flash download/installation page, which is what it does for me now, anyway.

Or am I reading this wrong and Adobe is saying "no more updates at all for Flash"...?

16. satrow

At this point we can only guess, the Flash updater might download/install the latest for the installed version but it might only download the latest version for the OS = release version, which in my experience is not as stable as the ESR version.

Adobe are working with MS (Flash is the major gateway for Windows malware, Adobe patches the Flash holes, MS patches the vulnerable Windows, usually GUI/Display/Fonts, subsytstems) and they release their patches/patched versions almost simultaneously, or simultaneously for WU and Flash ActiveX in W8-10.

It feels like Adobe are looking to follow the MS W10 route, forced updates with limited or no choice for the users.

AtlBo likes this.
  17. AtlBo

I prefer Flash to HTML5 to a large degree, so I hope it all gets worked out in the long run. I have a plugin I use on YouTube called YouTube Video Player, and that's how I have held on so far. HTML5 actually gives me a headache if you can imagine that possible from video.

I don't mind Adobe forcing updates with Flash. Actually, I have the client set to notify me of each update, but I wouldn't mind if it automatically updated.

I think Adobe has been shafted hard with Flash. I mean, it's been an integral part of the Windows experience for like 20 years, and they haven't been paid a penny (or not much). MS (or the PC manufacturers) should have included it in Windows and paid them $2 a copy or something. Somehow all the weird Karma going around is going around is going to start coming back around as they say.

Sad to me that users want the enablements of Flash but don't know enough to raise their voice to the security end of software development to make it possible to play flash games and save flash content on a drive safely. I just started using the sandbox in 360 TS and added EMET for additional protection. I added Firefox, plugin-container, and Flash to the EMET protected list and passed the AVulnerability test, where I had been failing before. This capability I feel should be at the kernel of every a-v protection program out there.

Thanks for the info Satrow...

18. Eldon

You're reading this wrong.
    All it means is you will no longer be able to download the redistributable/offline installer. Unless you have a 'enterprise distribution license'.
    To most users, this isn't a concern.

Off topic...
    I have a policy to disconnect from the internet prior to installing any software. That's how I avoid getting any unwanted junk.
    Just for fun... :D I check all the offered programs. And none install because I'm not connected to the internet. But, be careful, while the programs have to be downloaded, the toolbars and :rolleyes:OpenCrappy:eek: are usually bundled in the installer.

19. AtlBo

Thanks for the info Eldon. That's so backwards it's not even funny (I mean the developers' policies who use that technique to get their software onto PCs). I admit that is kind of funny to be able to stop them that way. It's sort of like holding the up remote in front of a terrible television show while you are counting down the seconds the program has to be on the screen.:D

I have learned to search out the junk in installations, and Comodo Programs Manager backs me up well if anything gets by. If programs install from the same installer, it requires they all be removed together. It may seem like a hassle, which it is, but I think it was their way of making sure nothing gets by CPM. I've only had to do that a couple of times I think.

CPM is a really great program with only one issue (in the Geek Buddy-less 1.2 version I use). There is a runaway process that has to be auto stopped with something. I run Process Lasso which has that capability, anyway, so that makes it possible for me to use CPM. The runaway process was for an online database Comodo was using to keep track of what each program installed. It was supposed to be possible to restore an installation from online, but the database got too big and Comodo had to pull the plug. The process searches endlessly for its connection if it isn't stopped. Incidently, CPM will create backups of the registry (for when it removes registry items) and also can create an installer. Now that's freaky cool, although I haven't tried the installer thing yet...

20. satrow

It's a concern to me!

I use the ESR version of Flash because, as stated above, it's more stable than the release version.

Sure, I could attempt to get their Enterprise distribution license and get the 180MB package each month. Where am I going to get a business/enterprise email address from?

21. Eldon

And to me.
    Can't help you with that.

22. Eldon

baklogic likes this.
  23. Tabeer

Tabeer Private E-2

What is the benefit of downloading standalone Flash Player?

24. plodr

Those links are not for a standalone player. They are links for the activex addon to be used in Internet Explorer and the plugin for all non-IE browsers installed on a computer.

Only a developer might have a need to download a standalone flash player
    https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html

I have a player that plays flash files, not made by Adobe. I discovered i didn't need it because Videolan, or VLC, plays flash (flv) files with no problem.

So a standalone player just for flash files isn't need by ordinary computer users.

baklogic likes this.
  25. Tabeer

Tabeer Private E-2

That's right. I thought the given link of flash player exe is for play videos play stuff like that.

26. Eldon

The links are for the offline installers aka redistributables.
    This is ideal for those with more than 1 PC - 1 download, many installs.

27. plodr

I have to update flash for IE and non-IE browsers on 5 home computers. It is easier for me to download both once, put on a USB stick and move from computer to computer. Plus those links do not install all the unwanted "extras" that you have to deselect before installing. I don't want a toolbar and I don't want to scan my computer with Norton or McAfee. I can't remember which of those two was offered because it has been so long since I used the download with the "extras" added in.

I also keep the latest on my USB stick. If I get called to help a senior citizen, I check if flash is up to date. If not, I update that from my stick.

28. son13adyy

son13adyy Private E-2

29. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Very useful links from plodr, and version 21 from son13ady
    This problem with online installation was a pain in the butt, a week ago, when I had to install a printer for my daughter. Same as Adobe, on-line installer only.
    There was no way I could get the drivers without downloading even with the disc included, which sent you to the on-line installer. My daughters internet connection was really cr....p. I waited ages at her place, and in the end I had to come home, and do it on my internet connection, meaning I HAD TO BRING LAPTOP AND HER PRINTER WITH ME, TOO.
    So unnecessary, - If I could have downloaded the necessary files on to my computer, it would have been so easy, just put on usb stick and take it around to her. When I tried to download the drivers for it on mine, it would only want to install on my computer, which I did not want.
    Not my favourite idea- I tried other places to get a driver for it on my computer, but had to fight virus/unwanted installers, as it seems the hackers love us not being able to find drivers etc: and even if there is a driver amongst the download- those other nasties
    can be abundant.

30. son13adyy

son13adyy Private E-2

31. satrow

32. Eldon

Thanks son13adyy & satrow.
    At least we can still download the redistributables. :)

33. son13adyy

son13adyy Private E-2

u are welcome

34. Eldon

BTW For Opera and Chromium-based browsers, it's PPAPI.

35. WascalWabbit

WascalWabbit Private E-2

36. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Out of curiosity, Eldon, where did you get that date of January 22, 2016 as the date that Flash Player would no longer be available there at that link? Why does it say June 30, 2016 there at the top of the page as the date when the page and the links will be decommissioned? Then there in the actual area of the downloads, they are still presented (at this time) as being 22.0.0.192? Is it by any chance possible that contrary to appearances ... that those downloads are actually NOT version 22.0.0.192?

The reason I ask is because this afternoon I encountered a surprising situation. I have for a long time been getting my supposed updates of Flash Player from that link. All this time I've been operating under the notion that I have been staying on top of things as far as keeping my 3 versions of Flash Player updated. Well, today as I was recreating my Opera bookmarks onto Maxthon Cloud, I happened to check out this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

To my complete surprise, when I clicked on the button to find out which version of Flash Player I had installed, I was informed as you can see by the attached image, that I apparently supposedly have version 18.0.0. 232. :eek: How can that be? The 3 Flash Player install files that I have in my Flash Drive as being the latest version that I installed in my computer are of the 21.0.0.242 version.

Every time that I have updated my 3 Flash Players (Active X, NNAPI & PPAPI) I have first uninstalled the old version. Or at least I THOUGHT the old version was being uninstalled. I certaintly went through the motions with Revo Uninstaller and saw with my own eyes the 3 icons being gone. Why is that 18.0.0.232 showing up as the version that I have installed?

Also, is that test going to say "Google Chrome" for any browser that is Chromium-based? Because I did the test with Maxthon Cloud and Opera. Chrome browser doesn't even work on my computer period.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  37. Eldon

I got the date on 10 December 2015. And then... Adobe changed the date.
    Why version 18.0.0.232 is showing, I cannot possibly say.
    What does Add or Remove programs show?

38. satrow

Chim, Adobe have posted at least 3 different dates on that page since December last.

I successfully downloaded and installed the correct ESR 18.0.0.360 version from there, the Check Now button at https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html unhelpfully lists my version as 18.0.0. The download now link there offers Version 22.0.0.192. Looks like they've messed up.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html correctly identifies my Flash version as 18.0.0.360 but using the Check Now button it incorrectly states: "Sorry, your computer does not have the latest Flash Player installed. Please go to step 2. ( Your version18.0.0.360 Latest Version22.0.0.192 )" so it's only Release, not ESR aware. Try downloading/checking your Flash version from the links at the foot of this page?

39. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Ahhh, good call, Eldon. Add / Remove indicates version 21.
    Maybe it's yet another one of those case of someone, Adobe in this case, ceasing support for Windows XP and thus now just throwing up the last version number of when they last supported Windows XP.

Yeah, Satrow, Adobe does appear to be a Cluster .... Uhhh, MESS. :D
    I hate, hate HATE, loathe despise Adobe's page loading. I have Dial Up Internet and ANY Adobe-related page has got to be the slowest-loading page in the history of the Internet. For some reason, it even appears that after loading one of their pages, nothing went into the browser cache and upon the next download of the same page ... it takes another couple of ice ages to load it again. Adobe page loading moves forward slower than a Moonwalking snail with 2 broken feet. Okay, snails probably don't have feet, but you get the picture. ;)

Anyway, so those links that Son13adyy put up ... they're only good for THAT version? When a new version comes about, those links won't reflect, won't have the NEW version? By any chance, would those links be acquired from here? https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

40. Eldon

41. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Followup question: At that "Other Versions" link ... I'll be able to download the install files onto my Flash Drive? Or will Adobe instead want to install the files on the computer on which I'll be doing the selecting? Cuz remember, I'll have to wait until I use my sister's Laptop with her High Speed Internet to download them onto my Flash Drive to then bring them back over here to install them on THIS computer. I don't want them installing on my sister's computer at the press of some Download button.

42. Eldon

43. Chim

Chim Private First Class

But, that's where we started. That's what I've been using all along. And it works for NOW ... until June 30, 2016. Unless Adobe pushes the date back yet again. Otherwise after that date I'd need a new source from where I could download the 3 files onto my Flash Drive every time there is a new version.

44. Eldon

And that's why I started the thread.
    Adobe has threatend legal action against any website hosting Flash Player.

From MajorGeeks.

45. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Ohhh, I get it now. I guess then we'll just have to cross that bridge if and when we ever get to it ... when that download page flat out no longer works.

And there is absolutely no generic / alternative to Flash Player that one can install and have it do whatever it is that Flash Player does so that we can kick Flash Player to the curb or more like off a Mt. Everest cliff?

46. Eldon

47. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

When I downloaded Adobe Flashplayer recently, after being bugged by Firefox to do so for weeks, I noticed that it also downloaded True Key Intel Security and McAfee Security Scan Plus; I didn't see an option to prevent these two from downloading.

Is it okay to uninstall/remove these two extras, or are they required for Flashplayer to work properly? I use MalwareBytes and not McAfee. Used McAfee in the past, and it caused problems.

Also, what does True Key do?

Thanks.

48. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There are always pre-ticked boxes for optional programs like that, and just clicking to untick them is the way to stop there download. But they can be easy to simply miss if not looking very carefully.
    They are definitely not needed for Adobe.
    I suggest you do a separate uninstall of each either through the standard uninstall process on your operating system, or using an uninstaller program such as Revo, IoBit, Absolute etc if you have one of those installed.
    Do carry out a restart of your system in between each uninstall to ensure all files are fully removed.

49. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

Thanks, Max. I did look for boxes to untick before downloading but could not find them. On an earlier download attempt when I could also not find any way to stop the extra downloads, I clicked on "cancel" after Flashplayer had downloaded and before the other two did, in order to halt installation of the other two. But Firefox kept advising that Flashplayer still needed to be downoaded, so I had to try again and let everything install. In the meantime, I have uninstalled those two programs and restarted the computer. Glad to know that they are not needed for Flashplayer.

50. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's good you managed to get them uninstalled.
    I suspect it may well have happened that way with you if you followed a Firefox link to update Flash.
    This is what I get if I choose to go directly to the official link https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    As you can see there is a tick beside an optional program that can be unchecked:
    Untitled.jpg

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds