advent 9117 on vista bios problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by moss99, Jul 20, 2013.

1. moss99

moss99 Private E-2

Hi I am trying to fix a friends laptop an advent 9117 (L75118) running vista , I am having to take the cmos battery out hold power button down to get it to boot .
    When it does boot i get black screen with error 0271 check time and date , and warning 0251 system cmos checksum bad -default configuration used
    f1 to resume f2 to setup when i press f1 vista starts normally and is fine till i shut down then i have just a black screen until i clear the cmos again .I have tried different ram and also volt tested the cmos battery (steady 3 volts)
    I have read about a vista update causing bios problems , is there any fix for this ??
    thanks

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Replace the CMOS battery instead of putting the same one back in. Then post what happens after you load defaults and set the time and date correctly in the BIOS.

3. moss99

moss99 Private E-2

Hi thanks for the reply , ok have put new battery in set date and time ans set defaults then save and exit but just get the same black screen until i pull battery and clear cmos

4. plodr

Same error and statement about setting the time and date too?

5. plodr

Error 0271: Check date and time settings means that the real-time clock has reverted to a default date and time, and you need to enter the system setup program (BIOS) and change the date and time back to the correct settings.

If you changed to a fresh battery and set the time and date correctly in the BIOS and exited saving the changes, I do not know what else to tell you to try.

Removing the battery will reset the time and date back to a much earlier time and your time and date will constantly need to be reset.

I also assume that the laptop is not plugged in. The electricity would help maintain CMOS settings and not drain the CMOS battery. If the laptop is running off a battery (not CMOS but the other larger battery), it sounds like this isn't doing a good job of holding a charge.

6. moss99

moss99 Private E-2

Hi again
    Laptop is on mains power only and yes after resetting time and date with new cmos battery i get same screen with 2 errors so i change the time and date in set up but when i save and exit i just get black screen until i reset cmos with the battery out . Its like the bios needs to be repaired or something ..
    IMG_1917 (1077 x 808).jpg

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds