Advice needed to replace graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ste1273, Mar 7, 2010.

1. ste1273

ste1273 Private E-2

I need to replace my graphics card. I would like to play games such as the Sims 3 and World of Warcraft. I don't want to spend a ton of money and am willing to use lower graphics settings in order to play. I run Vista Home 32 bit, have a 430w power supply and run an AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor, ~2.2GHz. I have 4 gig of ram. The computer is an Acer M5100. I was looking at the Radeon HD 4850 card but am wondering if there is a better card for around $100-$130 and/or if that card will run in my computer. I currently have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 pro but the fan stopped working on it. I know just enough about computers to be dangerous but have been burned by incompatible parts before. Thanks again for any advice.

Tracy

2. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

i wouldnt buy the card you are looking at without upgrading your power supply first, does your PSU even have a 6 pin pci-e connector? You do know that the 4850 requires one?

The psu is, in my opinion one of the most important components of the PC. it connects to everything and when it blows, it could take all those things with it.

As you said your pc is a prebuilt one, the psu is probably some cheap rebranded psu that is hardly capable to run what it has in it anyway, nevermind adding a decent graphics card too.

Anyway, enough of me rambling on, basicly, buy a new psu, like the Corsair TX650 would be perfect for your setup and will provide rock solid stability for all your components and will allow some for good stable OC'ing in the future.

As for the GPU, you could look at the 9800 GT or if you can stretch (but you would defo need a new psu for this one) the 5770.

3. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

The 4850 is a very stable card, I put one in my sons machine over a year ago and he puts it under a fair amount of pressure with games and his photoshop schoolwork etc.
    It will need a better PSU (as Burrell said) than you have. Aslo note, it's quite a chunk of a card, do you have enough room in your case?

And I second the fact that the PSU is probably the most important part of your pc, for no other reason than if your CPU or RAM dies, it's not likely to toast everything else........the PSU could well do that.

I take it you like to play games or something of a graphical nature.
    Would you mind posting an idea of what you hope to get out of your new card?

4. ste1273

ste1273 Private E-2

I just upgraded my power supply 2 weeks ago to a "Thermaltake W0070RUC TR2 Series 430W Power Supply with 2 Fans" and I am guessing, by your responses, that I made a mistake. It does have a 6 pin connector but is it too low wattage? I'd hate to replace it again. I honestly just want to be able to play a few games (WoW, Sims 3, NWN2) and watch movies on my pc. I'm not a stickler over quality, obviously, and am on a budget. Should I try to return my new PS possibly? Thanks.

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Yes, if you can, return the PSU.

If you struggle to return it say something like, "i bought this as a gift for my brother, but it is not compatible with his PC" Thats usually works for me.

TBH i wouldn't even try the GPU with that power supply.

Sorry, guess you've learned the hard way.

Generally in computer hardware, you get what you pay for. And a $35 PSU is exactly that.

6. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Right there, perfectly said.

Yes you really need more than 430w but you also need to look at the Amperage on the 12v rails.
    Something with 2x 12v 18A rails would be fine and around 550+ w.

Did you ask any advice at the store? If so you can return it on the notion that the advice was incorrect.

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have a similar PSU, Thermaltake 430W but about 4 years old and it didn't want to power my 9800GT with a quad so I got an Antec Earthwatts 500W and the sucker powers my OC'd quad(2.4->3GHz), 4 gigs RAM and two OC'd 9800GT's! What?!!!!!!:confused It's not the total watts that matters but the 12V rail amperage that counts. Your Thermaltake has an 18A rail and is of a decent brand.

I found a 9600 GT OC Video Card which may just squeak in for your power supply but it's never good to cut it too close like I have. I do know the 9600GT will give you good performance.

Talk to the retailer first before buying to make sure your PSU is good enough or you could go with a 9400GT which will be right in your power range. I'm not up on ATIs so someone else will have to chime in.

EDIT:/open rant I just bloody hate manufacturers/retailers who don't post amperage needs for video cards. The pox on them I say! /end rant

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  8. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Don't mean to undermine you there buddy, i would actually recommend atleast 30A on a single 12v rail. Something the Corsair TX650 which delivers on a plate. (52A).

9. augiedoggie

I think that's overkill sir.;) Take a look at my Antec Earthwatts 500W, has a pair of 22A 12V rails and is $25 cheaper, look at my previous post. Oh, and let's not stray too far away from the original question.;)

You have some number crunching to do there ste1273. Hopefully you can return your current PSU. It's all up to your budget now.

10. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

It's a matter of personal preferance. I like to know, for sure that my expensive PC components are safe.

Ooops. :-o

11. ste1273

ste1273 Private E-2

So if I opt to not change my power supply, which my budget is telling me not to do :-o, I could probably get by with a 9400GT as augiedoggie said? As much as I'd love to have an awesome gamer's pc, or even a really good one, I can't afford to put a lot more money into the computer. According to my husband I probably shouldn't even be playing games on it (but that's another matter ;)).

12. augiedoggie

Oh I absolutely agree man! However there are only degrees of sureness as everything craps out sooner or later.;) My Antec has been running 24/7 for 18 mths. now and you already know that I tax my systems very hard with the folding. It's too bad that ste1273 doesn't have the cash to get a big PSU and a GTX295 but that's life. I'd like a GTX295 too.;) We all have to compromise.:)

Anyways, the ball is now in the posters court.

13. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Oh I agree, the more the merrier, but I'm thinking low as you safely want to go.
    I have a Coolermaster 600w 2x 12v 18A rails and it powers my rig just fine.
    Thats includes 3 x 120mm led fans, 1x 210mm fan 2 HDD, 1 Ext HDD, AMD x2, 3gb ram and HD4890 Vapor X 2GB.

@Site.... Yes Auggie's suggestion is probably one of the better ideas if you don't have the budget for a PSU as well.
    And tell your Husband that PC's are meant to be gamed on...... I'm yet to find another use for it :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds