Advice on buying a new motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edi98, Apr 21, 2004.

1. edi98

edi98 Private E-2

I have not done this before. Do any of the motherboards come with the processor or do I have to buy it separate? If separate, would the motherboard specs tell me what kind of processor would go with it? Any advantage if I go with AMD versus Intel? I don't play much games so I do not have to have a separate video card (PCI or AGV) Any web page I can learn more and order from would be great help. I would appreciate any kind of advice/suggestion.
    Thanks in advance![​IMG]

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Tough questions, yet so simple, its just that opinions may vary.

If your new at it, I would suggest a motherboard and chip combo. They can be found as package deals, often at good prices, and typically the chip is mounted saving you the trouble of possibly not putting thermal paste on properly and frying the chip. Yes, you can buy them seperately, some online ordering pages only show chips that fit a board and vice versa.

I would go Intel, but thats preference, the Hyperthreading may help in some applications since you dont game. Intel and AMD go back and forth as to whos best, so thats a toin coss.

If you want, we have a shopping engine powered by Pricegrabber that shows some good deals. I dont see board and chip combos, but do see boards and chips:
    http://majorgeeks.pricegrabber.com/home_comp.php/ut=183b8e8390ec3edc

Otherwise, http://www.newegg.com has an excellent reputation.

3. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

I would recommend an AMD combo.
    Get an Nforce2 chipset equipped AMD motherboard, with integrated video.
    Then get any Athlon XP, Id say that the XP2500 is a pretty good bet.

Also make sure your current RAM will work; you'll need DDR RAM for a new motherboard, pretty much.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

5. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Hello edi98.
    Good luck on your building. If its your first, there's nothing like it.
    I just wanted to add a link to a site, here. This guy has written some great PC hardware books, O'Reilly's PC Hardware in a Nutshell
    Anyway, I trust his judgement. The guy tweaks all day long for a living, LOL ! :)

If you click on the clink on this site that says "Our Picks" and "System Guides", you may find some helpful info.

http://www.hardwareguys.com/

6. edi98

edi98 Private E-2

Thanks everybody. I guess I have decided to go with an AMD. Any good sites where I can check out and buy the AMD Processor and RAM?

7. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

8. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds