Advice on hardware: AMD vs. Intel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yamatosoul, Oct 28, 2008.

1. yamatosoul

yamatosoul Private E-2

I was told by a PC repair shop recently that my AMD set up (I've been having constant little problems) is far inferior to a comparable Intel system. Regarding this, I would like to ask the following to the knowlegeable members of this site:

1. Is Intel that much better? If so, in what ways?
    2. What is your opinion on my set up below (I'm not a gamer, but I do a lot of video conversions)?
    3. If I were to upgrade to an Intel set up, what combination of CPU/MOBO would you recommend in Core2Duo or Quad Core (in the $300 - $350 total range from Newegg)?
    4. Should I change any other components if I decide to go the Intel route?

As a novice, I don't know what works with what, and I want to keep as many of the components I currently have as possible. I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thank you very much,

Max

Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit (SP1)
    AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+
    Gigabyte MA-790XDS4
    Sapphire Radeon HD3870
    Western Digital Caviar SE 500GB
    OCZ 2GB

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Personally, I see nothing wrong with your setup! Maybe you need to ask that PC shop why he\she 'THINKS' AMD is so inferior. They may be 'inferior' due to the fact that Intel does cost more and maybe there is a higher profit margin with Intel, I don't know. As for which one is better, well I think it's just a matter of personal preference, and obviously that shop prefers Intel. Personally, I like AMD and just because I like it that doesn't mean that Intel is inferior. Case in point, I have 2 machines in this house, one is an AMD 3200+ and my son's is an Intel P4 3.2 and they BOTH run quite well and haven't had a problem with either one. Again, I see nothing wrong with your present setup.;)

3. yamatosoul

yamatosoul Private E-2

Stubby,

Thanks for your input!:)

4. hegemon875

hegemon875 Private First Class

For pure performance numbers ignoring price than yeah an intel core 2 duo at the same clock frequency as an amd 64x2 will probably perform better. Youve got a pretty old cpu you could upgrade to a much faster amd proc for very little.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I buy what's cheapest at the time. It so happened that the Intel quad at $200 was right up my alley a couple of months ago. I also have an X2 3800+ rig which is just great with video conversions, however I'm using XP. I think the store was trying to sell you a new rig.;) Maybe post up some of your issues and the good folk here could take a stab at them.

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, I do think a quad core would be a pretty good update for you. But your current box should be fine for most stuff. If you do want to update...

I normally do not post NewEgg links, but you asked for them.

Q6600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017 $189

For the motherboard, I am not up on what is being sold now. You should be able to find a nice one for around $100. If your RAM is DDR2, it will work fine. I would recomment the ThermalRight True for cooling the Q6600, at stock they get a bit warm. So for $300 you could get a nice upgrade.

But again, if you are having no performace issues with your computer, wait. They always get cheaper and faster.:cool

7. yamatosoul

yamatosoul Private E-2

I knew I can count on the members here at Major Geeks. Thank you all for your advice and input. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds