Advice on laptop buying

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by titanium69, Apr 22, 2011.

1. titanium69

titanium69 Private E-2

I`m looking to help out my dad buy a laptop, he knows nothing and my knowledge of laptops isnt that sharp either so i was wondering if you could help me out.
    He is looking to spend 800euros/705sterling ( please dont mention USD prices, i hate to have to go check that model and find, as usual, that the EU/UK version is 200-300 euros more)

Could you suggest any models for me?
    I want a 17" screen, 4gb RAM is plenty and a replaceable GPU (if possible), most the replaceable GPU so that should it fail, we can replace it no problem.
    Standard battery life is good enough, but i wont say no to longer battery life :-D
    Processor as good as can be purchased for a laptop in that price range
    HDD , as long as its more than 200 I`m happy.
    No special requirements for ports etc.., as long as it has the basic crap like firewire and wifi

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, titanium69.

Don't know if you've seen it, but Major Attitude has a laptop-buying page here.

You're probably going to get all sorts of suggestions - I just saw this model at Newegg, looks pretty sweet.

Good luck! :major

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I suggest you start with that because very few laptops have replaceable GPUs. At least you will not have to look at an enormous amount of choices. If you find a few in your price range, post the urls so others can comment on the best choice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds