Advice on system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeoBloom, Jun 27, 2006.

1. LeoBloom

LeoBloom Private E-2

Hello guys,

This is not an urgent matter, but I'd like to know a couple of things before I waste big bucks on a stupid mistake. Anyhow, I'm not a gamer in the sense that I only play one game Splinter Cell Chaos Theory MP Versus mode. But I do play that game a lot (it's quite addicting).

Now my system is a Dell I purchased perhaps two or three years ago. The CPU is a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4, 1 GB of ram, and the video card was (it broke down recently) a 9800pro. Someone recommended getting an x1600pro 512 MB as a replacement for that but the card failed to show any improvement over the 9800pro and I was expecting some since the card cost 200 bucks.

I decided that I was going to return this card and buy a 9800pro of off newegg at 90 bucks. Only after it got shipped did I notice that it was refurbished, and I have never had any experience with refurbished items. Another thing is that a friend who plays the same game says that it runs just as good on his x1300 as it did on my 9800pro.

Either way I don't know who to believe on what, so I'm looking on your advice on this matter. I can’t upgrade anything else right now, only the video card, and I can only spend up to 200 or so. Anyway, I just want to know what will push only up to the limits of my system so I don’t waste money. My choices are either to return the 9800 back to newegg on account of it being refurbished and pay a 15% restocking while keeping the x1600pro, or I could return the x1600pro but be unsure how long the 9800pro will last seeing as I’ve never had any experience with refurbished items.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds