Advice on which RAM is best..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nightwish, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Nightwish

Nightwish Private E-2

Hi.
    I have 768mb pc3200 ram on my computer at the moment, one 265mb and one 512mb.
    Im going to buy some more, a lot more and I need you to help me.
    I would like to know if I should get get:

-2gb of corsair pc3200 value ram (2x1gb sticks)
    OR
    -1gb of corsair xms4400 twinx ram (2x512mb sticks). Im not sure if this is 184pin dimm which my mb will take.

Also, would two different types of ram work, being the pc3200 and pc4400. Or ultimately any two different speeds of RAM?

Theres also OCZ which make some ram, 1gb of pc4200 ddr2 but I also dont know if this is 184pinn :S. Ive pointed out this because its actually £60 cheaper than the other ram modules I mentioned.

Thanks

2. askantik

askantik Sergeant

What D3m3nt3d said is true.

I'd just go with Corsair Value, unless you want to do gaming and overclock your RAM (I doubt that is the case here) then you'd want to go with the XMS.

CVS is good RAM, and so is OCZ's VS.

3. Nightwish

Nightwish Private E-2

Well I do game a bit..I was thinking to boost performance with couterstrike source and games in general. I usually get a windows low on virtual memory warning. I think the corsair 2gb RAM is probably what Ill do then.

I would still like to know if you can use to types of ram with different speeds though??

Also, I know u can buy dual channel kits but that actually say 'dual channel' but what if i bought say from ebay, 2 1gb sticks of exactly the same type of ram from the same seller. this would still be dual channel wouldnt it?

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

I would still like to know if you can use to types of ram with different speeds though??

You can, as long as they both can handle the speed of the front side bus. However, you'll get the best dual channel performance and have the least compatability problems with matching modules.

And, I'd say 2Gb is a little overkill. IMO, 1Gb is plenty enough for any game you play. Upgrade to 2Gb later on when you actually need it. It will also be cheaper at that time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds