Advice - Screen grab basic (not greenshot)

Discussion in 'Software' started by JudeBrown, Dec 22, 2014.

1. JudeBrown

JudeBrown Private E-2

I need a ‘screen grab’ to take a full window from IE11, and paste it straight to a folder – I am capturing the order in which users view a site and a page. I’ve read up on all the alternatives but it seems they all open in an editor and then have to be saved – or they work via online – or they work extremely slowly

I loved Greenshot but it started having problems on my old Sony Vaio and now on my new one with Windows 8.1 it only takes one page then refuses to continue, and causes problems when I shut down my machine

I’d really appreciate advice on software, or on making software work in a basic way
    Jude

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I use Lightshot in Win XP, Vista and 8.1. Check it out. It may be what you're looking for.

3. JudeBrown

JudeBrown Private E-2

Thanks for the quick response - Ill try it and let you know how I get on

4. JudeBrown

JudeBrown Private E-2

How to I access the settings to take a full window? It seems to only allow a selection of the screen area

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

6. JudeBrown

JudeBrown Private E-2

That sounds good - I'll give it a go after Christmas!

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Here is another to try - FastStone Capture 5.3. The '5.3' is important as it is the last freeware version.

http://www.oldapps.com/fast_stone_capture.php?old_fscapture=17

It supports full screen, active window, area of screen and scrolling window; hot keys; save to file, editor, clipboard, etc.; save as Bitmap, JPG, PNG, GIF, TIFF and PDF. And it's portable.

I use it under Windows XP & 7, but it supports Windows 98 to 8.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Don't know if the in-built Snipping Tool in Windows 8 would help, worth a try.

9. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

10. JudeBrown

JudeBrown Private E-2

Unfortunately this is refusing to work in IE11, though it does work in Notepad and Firefox

11. JudeBrown

JudeBrown Private E-2

Yes this one does work - but oh so slowly. It isn't practical for me unless there is a trick I haven't workedout

12. JudeBrown

JudeBrown Private E-2

I can't see a way to make this work for a scrolling window

13. JudeBrown

JudeBrown Private E-2

14. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

See if PicPick - MajorGeeks will work for you. I just installed the latest version(4.0.2) and it worked fine in Pale Moon and I.E.10. Did exactly as you want, if I understood you correctly.

Sorry but don't have I.E.11 installed.

15. JudeBrown

JudeBrown Private E-2

Dear people, thank you for all your suggestions. I have now run out of time so I'll have to temporarily use Firefox Screengrab, but it isn't ideal because it does not capture Flash - and possibly other items.

Ive also just tried Snag It but it does not include the page name in the file title, and seems to save large snag files along with the png, seems to require two clicks to grab the scrolled page, and the scrolled page is left at the bottom. I may have to use it in the future

Faststone Capture 5.3 does not seem to work with Windows 8.1 as it keeps magnifying the page up out of the screen. And my trial period for when I used a current version has run out so I can't see if it would work better than I have remembered

How I miss a Greenshot that works!

16. JudeBrown

JudeBrown Private E-2

Thank you for the PicPick suggestion – I will use that. It works with IE11, grabs scrolling windows easily, and puts it in a folder.

It does miss some of the nice Greenshot functionality (it does not put the page name into the file title, the autosave folder cannot be changed easily, it grabs from where the page is already scrolled from and leaves the page scrolled to the bottom) but it certainly the best alternative so far – thank you

17. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I've heard SnagIt mentioned in the past when people needing to capture scrolling windows.
    http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html

I have no need for this and have never used it personally.

18. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Don't know if this would be of much use to you or not.

If you disable "Automatically Save Images" in "Program Options" then from PicPick's SysTray icon menu:
    • Highlight "Screen Capture"
    • Highlight "Output Type"
    • Select "Image File"
    when ever you capture a page PicPick will bring up a 'select a folder and file name'(Save As) dialogue window. The folder will be the last one used to save in, the file name will be the default for PicPick. These settings will remain until you change them. Not ideal but not bad.

It would be nice if it would insert the page name in the file name. I don't find the scrolling capture starting at the current page position a hindrance, sometimes I just want a portion of a page but more than currently displayed. Just a personal preference though.

19. elomelo

elomelo Private E-2

I need a screen capturing software. How can I find one?

20. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

This page lists the Screen Capture utilities available here at Major Geeks. I use Lightshot.

21. JudeBrown

JudeBrown Private E-2

Thanks for that Plastidust

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds