Advice wanted on building my own graphic design pc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slascaux, Jan 2, 2007.

1. slascaux

slascaux Private E-2

I'm a photographer and painter who uses Photoshop and other image editing/web authoring software for my personal work. I will be scanning photo negatives and eventually outputting digital negatives and digital prints, etc...

I've decided I want to build a computer specifically for the work I am doing. I don't need a "gaming" machine with video graphics, but still something with powerful graphics, lots of memory, and set up for editing some large file size images. 2 CRT monitors.

The more powerful ready made machines I see are set up for gaming, video editing, consumer digital camera stuff, and internet browsing. I feel like I would rather spend my money on memory and the right graphics card and cpu for MY use, and leave out all the other bells and whistles.

I have experience upgrading my computers with new drives, memory, etc, so I'm not scared to open the case and poke around in there :D. I also have a brother who is an electronics geek and has built several gaming goliaths himself... so I always have "phone support" from him, which makes me braver than I'd be otherwise. And then I have MajorGeeks!!! :major

So... I'm thinking AMD Athlon, but I don't have a clue about graphics cards or anything else.... What kind of system would YOU suggest for my needs?

Thanks!!!
    Susan

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds