Advise on WinTasks 5 Pro & similar pgms

Discussion in 'Software' started by sandsurfer, May 3, 2005.

1. sandsurfer

sandsurfer Private E-2

I really need to clean up my computer - RAM maxed out most of the time. I use Win98 SE, 256 RAM but sys resources always near zero. Ususally only have email (Eudora Light) & FireFox open (plus the ones running in the background - McAfee, ZoneAlarm & the like). So looking for good software to help, preferably free (I know WinTasks costs).
    Any opinions/ideas? Is there anything (program or website) out there that will decypher all those program and file names of stuff voluntarily or involuntarily downloaded over the past couple of years?

Sure appreciate any help. Frustrated Sandsurfer.

2. Gottaminit419?

Gottaminit419? Private E-2

Are you saying that you have not been doing your housekeeping on a regular basis??(LOL)

There are lots of programs out that will help w/ that ,I found norton sys works to be a great allaround cleanup utility(opinion) May seem daunting at first but if you read the dir it is very easy.

Remember: anti viral and firewall is a must on the web today

This may not be free but I always seem to have a freind that has a copy -I use -I fix it _then bought it-once it proved its worth(50$ at elect boutique)

completly free hmm not sure anyone else?? :)

3. sandsurfer

sandsurfer Private E-2

Sorry if I didn't give all the pertinent info, but yes, I do attempt cleanups on a regular basis. I use McAfee and Avast! antivirus, as well as Zone Alarm Pro as a firewall. Also, I have Norton Systemworks 2004 for Utilities such as Disk Doctor and Speeddisk, etc., but I know I have a bunch of files hanging around that I'm loath to delete for fear that they're parts of programs I'm still using. And doing "Properties" doesn't always help (right-clicking on a file).

What I would really like is some program or website where all computer programs are listed by their download names, with an explanation of what they do. My RAM situation is almost impossible to deal with - in order to write this I had to close my email program, for instance.

Sure appreciate any help out there.
    Sandsurfer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds