AdwCleaner 5.018: Infected or avast False Positive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chim, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Chim

Chim Private First Class

The other day I was trying to download AdwCleaner 5.018 from right here at MajorGeeks from where I always download it. I was having problems. I kept getting errors from my Opera browser. After 4 or so download attempts at MG, I tried downloading AdwCleaner 5.018 from FreewareFiles. Things were going well until the download got all the way up to around 98 or 99% and suddenly BAMM! An avast popup comes up and informs me that AdwCleaner 5.018 is infected with Evo-Gen 32 or something along those lines. I was informed that it had been moved to the Virus Chest.

I can't upload it to Virus Total as the download was headed off at the pass by avast and thus never finished. I can't ask anyone at avast to check into this as a possible False Positive as I can no longer log in onto the avast Forums with my Dial Up.

Can anyone confirm having gotten the same supposed malware indication by avast or any other Anti-Virus from the download of AdwCleaner 5.018? If it is just an avast False Positive, can one of you guys inform someone at the avast Forums since I can't get in there?

I've never had avast flag AdwCleaner as malware before ... or at least certainly not in any recent times. I can't remember if it happened before way back when in the distant past.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

It's a false positive.
    Disable Avast before downloading AdwCleaner from MajorGeeks only. After downloading, ensure you enable Avast.

3. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Oh, okay. Thanks, Eldon. :clap

I'm going to TRY informing avast about this via the e-mail route. But, I'm not holding my breath on necessarily getting results. After all, I already tried using that e-mail route before to inform them that I could no longer log in into the avast Forums with my Dial Up and I neither got a reply nor got the log in problem fixed. :banghead

4. Eldon

Additional information:

1. I downloaded AdwCleaner 5.018 from MajorGeeks and Avast did not block and/or quarantine the file.
    2. I scanned the file with both Avast Antivirus and Windows Defender and both detected no threat.
    3. I uploaded the file to VirusTotal and the scan detection was 1 / 54. Only Bkav detected a threat which can safely be considered a false positive.
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...dae2bf44b8d3dd242eebef75/analysis/1447016099/

Have you updated the Avast virus definitions and program?

5. BaldEagle

BaldEagle Private E-2

6. Eldon

7. Chim

Chim Private First Class

@Eldon:
    My avast is current with the definitions at 151108-1. I haven't updated to avast 2016 yet. I have 10.4.2233. So with that being the previous latest, that shouldn't be the problem.

A little bit later I'll try downloading AdwCleaner 5.018 again and see what happens. It's possible that with now several Virus Definitions Updates having gone by since I experienced the problem, maybe whatever furball was sticking in avast's throat might have cleared up by now.

Just like in recent times, my PortableApps.com's LibreOffice 5.0.1 was freaking out avast. As soon as I attempted to open LibreOffice up, avast's Deep Screen would pop up with 2 simultaneous popups instead of the usual 1 and seconds later my computer would reboot. LibreOffice 5.0.2 appears to have fixed the problem.

@BaldEagle:
    Yeah, I see that, BaldEagle. It wouldn't be out of the question that AdwCleaner 5.018 could have a flaw similar to what I told Eldon there how avast was not taking too well to my Portable LibreOffice 5.0.1 Then LibreOffice 5.0.2 fixed the problem.

8. Eldon

I have the same and did not have problems downloading or running AdwCleaner.

The latest version of AdwCleaner is 5.019.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/adwcleaner.html

9. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Thanks for the heads up on the new AdwCleaner 5.019, Eldon. I hadn't seen that. I just finished downloading it AND running it. Everything went without a hitch this time. It appears things are now back to normal on the technology playground with avast and AdwCleaner playing well with each other again. :hyper :dancer

I guess I won't know whether the problem was fixed by a particular avast Virus Definitions Update or the new AdwCleaner 5.019. But, as long as things are working again --- COOL!

I too have Windows XP Pro SP3.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  10. Eldon

Great!
    I hope BaldEagle has the same success.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds