Affordable cable router/firewall for novice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yeeha, Aug 29, 2006.

1. yeeha

yeeha Private First Class

I need a low cost cabled (non-wireless) router and a hardware firewall which are of good quality but also suitable for use by a novice/intermediate user.

Mainly I just need to split a DSL connection between two computers, but I am also suspicious about the effectiveness of software-based personal firewalls.

Do these products commonly come packaged together in one device?

Is there such thing as "all-weather" Ethernet cable that can be snaked outside along an exterior wall so I don't have to string wires through the house?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

The commonly available broadband routers use NAT (Network Address Translation) to route net traffic to and from the appropriate LAN machine, which it identifies by their addresses in a private IP range. Therefore, the only IP visible to the outside world is that of the router, and that in and of itself creates a reasonably reliable firewall. Units that include an actual firewall function are available, but at typically higher cost. Look at units by Netgear, Linksys or D-Link.

Over time, I think common CAT5 or 6 ethernet cabling jacketing would be broken down in sunlight. Maybe you could use some 1/2" electrical conduit to protect it.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If you want to avoid the wires ...get a dual router (hardwire and wireless) and if you don't have already, a wifi card for the pc's (or a usb wifi)...if distance is a problem ...a repeater.

4. yeeha

yeeha Private First Class

aw, i got logged out by timeout or something and lost a whole long post I don't want to retype >.<

In short, thanks for the help, and I'm seeking comments on these products

linksys BEFSR41
    D-Link DI-604
    Netgear
    RP618 or DG834 (not sure what the differences are)

All have positive reviews somewhere or other. Only the linksys is featured on Ars Technica, scoring an 8. The reviewer's gripes didn't concern me. But overall is there anything other than cost to consider when choosing from among these products?

5. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I use Netgear, but I notice my neighbor's Linksys' setup screens are a bit more user-friendly.

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds