After a Pile of Reading

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bee, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Bee

Bee Private E-2

I still can't find an answer to my two questions regarding my current FAT32:
    1. Should I re-format my HDD to NTFS? and what do you do? 1)Put system disk in and format C: then do enter a name for the NTFS?
    2. Is it better to format and do the NTFS option? Rather than use the convert tool.
    (I know I will lose all my data if I re-format, I re-format every 6-8 months)
    (I will back up if I just use the convert option.)

I have a P2.8 HT 1 meg cache, 1gig dual channel Ram, 80 gig HDD, Win XP, FX 5700

Thanks for the help in advance....

2. Bee

Bee Private E-2

Could I create a partion in my current HDD and then make only that partion NTFS?

Is there a sticky on how to partion a free space on my HDD without having to use other software etc..

Would there be any benifit in doing this??This is the first time I needed to do this?My friend gave me a DVD of all of the pictures and movies from our two familys trips we've taken in the past couple of years and it will not copy to my FAT32 because it is over 4 gig. So I don't need much of a partion maybe 10gig and I have over 60 free...Is this possible, because I don't have to do this very often and I never had any other problems with FAT32.

Thanks,

3. Bee

Bee Private E-2

can anyone help me

4. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

You don't need to reformat, just convert to NTFS via Disk Management. Its pretty safe but its always a good idea to back up your important stuff.

NTFS offers better security, recoverability and Disk Space Economy. Plus you found out that FAT32 has a 4 Gig file limit.

You can create Partitions via Disk Management as well but not if you only have one. It won't let you mess with the Boot Partition.

5. Bee

Bee Private E-2

I tried using the convert command but it comes up that the volume is being used and would you like to dismount it (y/N) what will this do? or am I missing a step? Please help as I am very confused.

Thanks,
    B

6. Bee

Bee Private E-2

could someone give me a hint....Please:) :confused:

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

8. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

9. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Are you using Basic or Dynamic Disks? Sounds like Dymamic and you have a Mount Point which would be come unmounted. I think you would want to copy that folder elsewhere or back it up. before saying yes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds