After installing Spybot, NAV reports Unable to read boot records

Discussion in 'Software' started by morrischuck, Dec 30, 2006.

1. morrischuck

morrischuck Private E-2

On a Win98SE machine, after installing Spybot and running its Immunize feature, Norton Antivirus no longer can access the Master Boot Records on each physical drive and the boot sectors on logical drives: it reports, "Unable to read boot record on drive " {#0, #1, C:, D:, ...} "Check to make sure that the drive is ready." It's as if Spybot is blocking NAV's access to the boot records.

If I go into NAV's options and uncheck "Master Boot Records" and "Boot Sectors" so that it won't scan them, I can get NAV to run on the files of the disks again, but I'd like to be able to scan the boot sectors.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, or know how to fix it?

Thanks for the help!

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Welcome to MG :)

I would first suggest that you uninstall Spybot and see if you can then scan the MBR. If you can, then try re-installing Spybot but turn-off NAV tempoarily before you do so, turning it back on after Spybot is installed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds