Age Of Mythology: Titans

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2twiztid, Oct 31, 2009.

1. 2twiztid

2twiztid Private E-2

G'day ,

There was one of two places I could place this, and I decided that this would be a better option.

Anywho, my Age Of Mythology: Titans game (I got the gold edition and installed them both at the same time) causes my computer to give me a black screen like my graphics card is cutting out - forcing me to restart and/or it restarts by itself. I've tried reinstalling the game countless times as well as using Driver Clean to uninstall ATi drivers along with CCC before doing a complete reinstall. No dice. I've touched my graphics card (Radeon 9250 - Yes, old card, but more than enough to power a game such as this) and the heatsink appears to be hotter than it used to get when I first got it - which seems to imply a lack of thermal grease present.

While all this seems to result in me answering my own question, all the information above is entirely contradictory of what I have read elsewhere.

1. The 9250 isn't meant to get hot enough to cut itself off to save itself from damage, even without a heatsink (Sounds a little far-fetched to me)
    2. Reading up on the Microsoft KB's before deciding to come here suggested turning off the automatic restart option - which my computer doesn't even have enabled.
    3. No mini dumps are present.
    I am running an AMD 1800+ with WinXP SP3 with 512MB of RAM, which is, like stated before, more than enough to run a pansy little game such as AOM. Could somebody point me in a direction of something I hope I have overlooked.

-Twizted

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You could check in the Event Viewer logs for a error message at the exact time of the black screen? likely in Applciation, System logs.

Would be worth checking your system temps as it does sound as if temperature is the issue here in crashing the PC to a blakc screen, and to test temps you could use this and note what the temps are when the PC is idle and also running say a game or intensive app like this to benchmark the PC which forces the Pc to run at max, thus stressing the system

*DO note that stressing any PC can cause any weak and failing hardware to fail completly, so only run if you know the risk*

If you have another graphic card or can borrow one to test that may help narrow down the cause, and if the cause is actually your graphic card or not.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds