AGP Vid Card, Best bang for buck!?! suggs pls.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bold Eagle, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Hey all I just bought PC1 below in August last year when I was a complete n00b. Now I am finding this Video Card is already struggling for gaming: "Oblivion" but I'm sure there are many more. Apparently Pixel and Vertex Shaders v.xx are holding it back and I have found this card is at the real low end of the gaming spectrum, Frustrated!! My oaf I think the salesman saw me coming. I don't want to have to travel the expensive and painful path yet, dual PCI-E w SLI, so:

Can you provide "best bang for buck" suggestions for AGP; Make, Model, etc and brief explanatin why.

I have some kick arse refrence sites but want some input into what to look for.

This site will state crap with a CAPITAL C and it doesn't paint a pretty pict. for ATI's first attempt at "Crossfire" (would-be SLI killer, lol):

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/category.asp?SCID=15

Any and all help greatly appreaciated. Other good sites of interest as well. Also use guru3d.com.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

best agp card out as of now, and probably the last, is the 7800gs below that the 6800 ultra followed by the 6800gt and then the 6800gs. I dont know too much about ati cards but the best for them as far as i know is the x850xt. I prefer nvidia but its up to you. Actually, i believe that the 800 series cards only support up to shader 2.0, while the nvidia 6 series supports 3.0. Ok, thats what i know, gl finding a card. peace out:cool:

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Cheers, hopefully a lot more to come. I think this will be an important post for many who can't afford the comp sys upgrade and yet want to optimise their fading AGP tech.

4. ej25lvr

ej25lvr Private First Class

i was gonna get a 7800gs and went to compusa and the prices are way to high. they had a bfg 7800gs oc and a evga 7800 gs oc both for around $350. ive seen full blown pci-e 7800s that dont cost near that much. guess the prices will come down sooner or later.

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay with this out other VGA cards are predicted to be coming down in cost so still after some other good models to search for at less $$.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds