Ahh! Mice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eldog, Aug 1, 2006.

1. eldog

eldog Private E-2

My mouse SPONTANEOUSLY quit working. It stopped, then I tried moving it or something and it worked for a little while longer. I checked the cable- it is connected, so it's not that. I tried another mouse and it did not work which leads me to belive it is the PC. When I go into mouse properties it shows NO mouse device in the hardware tab. It also shows NO MOUSE DEVICE in the DEVICE MANAGER and does not detect it when I scan. Could it be corrupt registry/driver thing or something? Or maybe it is the socket for the mouse malfunctioning somehow? Either way, I am using MouseKeys(yay!) and hope to find a way to make my mouse work again.

I know it is not a cable because I tried a different mouse. This really bothers me because it didn't just happen after I turned on the PC. I was in the middle of working when it started to stop, worked again, and stopped a little later hasn't since. I have tried safe mode, switching users, rebooting, etc.?

Any Ideas?

Thanks!!
    Thanks!!
    Thanks!!

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

COuld be a dodgy PS2 port. Are you using a PS2 mouse (the small round connector that looks like a mini midi connector) or USB mouse ?

3. eldog

eldog Private E-2

Re: PS/2

Yep.

It is a ps/2 - so does that mean it is bad or that I need a new one or something? I have tried to "fiddle" with it but that won't work. I think it is soldered to the motherboard.

Maybe I could get a USB one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds