ahhhh crap, another problem i cant fix myself...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viper_boy403, Oct 9, 2006.

1. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

sorry for the lack of description in my title lol. Aaaaaanyways.... Recently ive been going a lil download crazy and the result is a whole bunch of large .exe files. When i try to open them, they take SOOOOOOOOOOOO long, sometimes up to 10 minutes, to open. The hard drive is constantly spinning during this time and pretty much keeps me from doing anything during this load time. I thought it may be an unstable OC but i talked to ACE and ran some stability tests which came out clean. Also, i checked the HDD's SMART and it shows all green/pass

Any takers?

2. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Have you tried running chkdsk to see if that will help? Your sig doesn't say which OS you're using. XP? If so, you should be able to setup the chkdsk run by:

Right clicking on the drive letter in My Computer and selecting "Properties"

Click on the "Tools" tab and under "Error Checking" check the box "Check Now"

Then check the box "Automatically fix file system errors."

It would probably also be a good idea to check the other box, "Scan for and attempt the recovery of bad sectors", though if you run chkdsk with that option it will take longer to complete, maybe much longer depending what shape your drive is in.

Finally, you'll get a somewhat lengthy message saying that chkdsk can't be run until you reboot the computer and asking you if you wish to run chkdsk automatically the next time you reboot. Select "Yes", shut down and restart and, once chkdsk completes, see if your programs execute properly/more quickly.

If the chkdsk report indicates lots of errors which it is unable to repair that may indicate that your hard drive is about to fail. If you have other utility programs that you can use to examine your hard drive (e.g. SMART programs that can read and interpret the SMART data available from most hard drives, if the SMART reporting has been turned on) see what they can tell you. And back up your data to CD's/DVD's or another hard drive if the results indicate this drive is likely to fail soon.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Good luck!

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

ran it while at school, didnt have an error report when i got back. Good? I had already checked SMART reports (with speedfan, do you know of any better ones?), defragged, spyware/virus checks, stability testing on my OC; i think i covered all my bases. And its just large .exe files; not zips or anything else which is strange. My games and other programs load just as quickly as always so im really stumped here :rolleyes:

4. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Eh man its prolly a small thing, just run a disk clean up lol , when was the last time u ran one man? also Maybe Defrag too small things :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds