AIM hyperlinks

Discussion in 'Software' started by BlackTransWS6, Dec 6, 2006.

1. BlackTransWS6

BlackTransWS6 Private E-2

Hey guys,

Having some trouble with instant messenger. More specifically, aim does not allow me to click hyperlinks. I just reinstalled aim 5.9 and when i click on a hyperlink it graciously provides me with the following error message... "Unable to find the application to handle the protocol http of the link you selected. Please type in the path of the application to handle this url" I tried searching around for others with this problem with no luck...how do I address this?

2. BlackTransWS6

hey,
    still having problems with this... Is it possible that a popup blocker or related program is not allowing me to click hyperlinks? In the latest version of AOL 6.0 I wasnt even allowed to cut and copy the links. Ive downgraded to 5.9 and at least I can copy.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

What happens when ye do the following:

Click START, then RUN, then type in:

www.google.com (press enter).

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Open Internet Explorer > Tools > Options > Programs > Reset Web Settings

Steve

5. BlackTransWS6

Hey,

Ran www.google.com and the computer came up with a message saying windows could not find www.google.com...

As for resetting my web settings, I could not find the option. I made a bitmap of my printscreen but it is too large to upload. Will upload if someone can explain how to make the picture smaller.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

The Reset Web Settings option is a buttun on the bottom left of the Programs dialog box.

From IE choose Tools > Internet Options > Programs > then look at the bottom left for Reset Web Seetings

Steve

7. BlackTransWS6

Ok, found the reset button under the advanced tab...This may be an older version of IE... However, upon resetting the settings Mcafee has gone ape shit...it keeps popping up a box that says "allowed" Active protection has allowed the change of your Local Page to C:\windows\system32\blank.htm... This is still happening, the box must have come up over 100 times and counting...

8. BlackTransWS6

I can now click on links in aim (thankyou much), but this mcafee thing is gonna drive me nuts...its still sending me the same message every second... Considering uninstall. Does anybody know how to stop this?

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I'm not sure why it's doing that. Try changing your Homepage and see if it stops.

Steve

10. BlackTransWS6

Thank god, got it to stop...when all else fails turn it off!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds