Air flow direction question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by augiedoggie, Sep 6, 2008.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I read one post by goldfish where he says air out is better than air in. I just bought a CoolerMaster case for my quad build. It has by default a front and left side intake fan with a rear outflow all @ 120mm. I can add another 120mm fan on the left side, an 80mm on the right, two 120mm on the top and one 120mm on the bottom. As I'm going to be pushing the CPU to the max with folding, what would be the best config for the top and bottom fans? In or out? Thanks all.:)

Oh, I have the stock Intel Q6600 HSF which seems to performing well enough with 3 cores maxed out at 55C and a 7600GT soon to be an 8800GT or better. The front intake also blows over the hard drives, three of them.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Augie

Great question and one I have been messing with for years in reguards to what is best directions, I came to the conclusion of heat rises as we all know, so intake fans in bottom front of case and rear and or top fans expelling air out back as many if not all PSUs expel air.

Seems like your Coolermaster case is similar layout to mine as the two 80mm front fans blow over the HDs and with the gaps I put between the HDs, the middle HD bay is empty so air from the front fans blows direct to the GTX card and CPU

If your intake of air from the side fan, then the rear one likely behind the CPU and below the PSU should be an outflow over inflow.

Need in the end to create a flow of air thats not if possible going to hit an opposite direction of air, this ends up being static and can warm up a PC, so also take some time in trying to tidy all the cables away as these if messy can block airflow around a case.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Thanks Halo, my PSU is bottom mounted with one 120 going out the back. I'm not sure why the case was made this way but it sounds like the reasoning behind that is to keep the PSU from sucking in hot air all the time which reduces it's life from what I've read.

The drives are much cooler now with active air flow, barely lukewarm to the touch as before they were barely bearable to the touch, I don't know how they survived! Good idea to separate them if one can.

Ya, there's cable snaps that I can use to route the cables next to the chassis and out of the way. I'll also wrap up the unused PSU cables and tuck them away in the 5 1/4" bay, tons of room in there.

Right now with an open side and all 4 core pinned, the Q6600 CPU is at 55C, I'll let you know what happens after I button up the case but not today. :drink :)

4. proatwork

proatwork Private E-2

Same question here ... i have a normal CASE that i tried to modify....

this is the normal case : http://www.evomag.ro/imagini/Produse/NEXSTAR.jpg

this is my "modded" case : http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim4104tw2.jpg

i want to mention that the only fan that blows air directly in front of the cPU fan is the one from the top....
    the sidepanel fan blows air right onto the heatsink.
    btw, i drilled the top of the case so i could apply the top fan.... and also i made some holes in the frontpanel for better air intake. The sidepanel cooler is placed on the outside cuz it wouln't fit next to the CPU heatsink

do you find anything wrong with the way i placed the airstream ? if so , by all means, tell me how to make it more efficient

my temps are , after 10 hours of playing and idling
    CPU 46 C
    GPU 44 C
    PWM 48 C
    MOBO 37 C
    AMD Athlon64 3200+ (2000mhz) + AMD64 FReezer PRO fan / Abit KN9 nForce4 Ultra / nVidia Geforce7600GT

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Augie

Sounds good what you have done, yes have noticed a few cases have bottom mounted PSUs, last PC I built had this setup and employed a sort of wind tunnel effect of a large fan in front lower area and the PSU at back so created an In Out air tunnel passing over HDs.

@Proatwork

I would only be tempted to reverse the top fan to extract air over the direction its in now as for me your more forcing warm air back into the case.

6. proatwork

proatwork Private E-2

Only problem is that it would "take" the air that is meant to go into the CPU fan..

http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim4110ek2.jpg

7. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I think that Halo is right. The top fan will only extract the warm air from the top of the case,and will not interfere with the CPU cooling.

8. proatwork

proatwork Private E-2

well, i'll do that and monitor the changes... thx guys :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds