All icons and programs link to Word Pro??

Discussion in 'Software' started by eclayton, Jun 16, 2003.

1. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I downloaded Ad-aware on a friends computer and found 124 files. Deleted them all.

Downloaded Reg Cleaner 4.3 and removed 500+ registry errors. Also removed 19 or so programs from startup.

Restarted and now all the desktop icons, taskbar icons, etc open up word pro. I can get to My Computer and Internet Explorer, but that's about it. I got AVG from my computer and am currently running it, but this is very weird.

They run Windows 98
    Pentium 133?

Don't know any other specs, can't open anything! :(

Also, when we restarted, a program called 'ocraware.exe was trying to open.....what is this?

Thanks!

Eric

2. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

ocraware sounds like a scanner program. Did you back up the registry before you ran the reg cleaner? It sounds like that's where the damage was done. Worst comes to worse you could recreate all the shortcuts to the Exe iles on the hard drive.

3. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

here is what I found on ocraware.exe

These two background programs implement the OCR Aware feature of OmniPage in the later versions of OmniPage (this is called OmniPage/OCR Aware in other versions of OmniPage). This feature inserts the Acquire Text option in the File menu of Office Suites (Microsoft Office, Lotus SmartSuite, Corel WordPerfect). By clicking on "Acquire Text" you can scan a page of text and have it OCR’ed by OmniPage straight into your wordprocessor, spreadsheet, or presentation, all in one operation. When it works it is a great feature and a much simpler operation than opening OmniPage, scanning, converting, and saving into a file

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

5. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

The RegCleaner would by default create a backup file of the registry entries that it deleted in the directory where the RegCleaner uses as its default directory. Take a look there to recover anything worthwhile.

As said elsewhere you could restore from a backup of the complete registry created by the system using scanreg.

Is it not possible to restore some or all of the original files from a backup or recovery disk?

Another possibility is to export your registry containing file associations and actions from the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT but I'd use this as a last resort.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds