All Ports Blocked for Internet Traffic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beermonster88, Feb 25, 2009.

1. beermonster88

beermonster88 Private E-2

Hello, I hope someone can help with this one as I am pulling my hair out.

I have a PC connected to a router provided by AOL and I am getting no inbound or outbound internet traffic. I also have a laptop which connects without any problem.

I have disabled the AV software and Firewall, flushed the DNS, run several regsrv commands as instructed by a different thread. I can get a constant ping on www.yahoo.co.uk therefore I know I am connected to the router/internet. A tracert goes out past the router but times out half way through. I have run some spyware/malware tests although I can't get the latest updates as it won't allow any inbound internet traffic. I have checked msconfig and nothing seems out of order and also run a regvac program which has cleaned a lot of problems from the system registry.

As you will gather I am not a novice, but I am totally lost on this one; any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Is this a router/modem or a router connected to a modem? If you have a separate modem, then have you connected directly to the modem?

Have you compared your ipconfig on both computers?

3. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Is the laptop(working system) connecting wired or wireless?

4. beermonster88

Thanks for your reply

It's an AOL ADSL router/modem. There is no difference between the two IP configs. The DNS is provided by the router as is the IP address via DHCP.

As stated I have run a DNS flush.

It has to be a problem with the desktop PC as the network is working fine.

Any ideas?

5. beermonster88

Thanks for your response, the laptop is wired connected to the same port as the desktop to prove that the router was working OK.

It has to be a problem with the desktop PC itself, but I can't work out what the hell is stopping all inbound and outbound traffic.

Cheers

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Have you checked for malware? Have you tried after disabling any firewall programs?

7. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

so you can ping out to the internet on the problem PC. can you browse by IP at all?
    do you have your browser set to use a proxy by chance?

8. beermonster88

I have run Malware Bytes Anti-Malware, although with out of date definition files as I can't download anything. This found no problems. I can't install anything like Spybot as it needs an internet connection to download the program files.

I have unchecked any proxy settings.

Still no joy.

9. beermonster88

Thanks King Steve,

I can't browse using IP either, although if I ping www.yahoo.co.uk it resolves the name to the IP address suggesting that DNS is working fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds