All printing functions stopped after failed Epson XP-312 installation

Discussion in 'Software' started by rafa, Jan 17, 2014.

1. rafa

rafa Private E-2

Win 7 - 64 computer.

After failed installation of Epson XP-312, all printing functions are now impossible - I can't open Devices and Printers, or "Add Printer". "Print" on progs like Notepad and Paint either crashes the prog. or shows nothing, and Word won't open at all.

I have tried to remove all traces of Epson - nothing shows now on Programs.

I also tried to do a SYstem Restore to before the installation - it *failed*.

The installation failed both from the CD - on InstallNavi.exe, and, separately, when I tried to install the printer driver file d/l from the Epson site. The installation/unzipping just stopped after the blue line had gone a bit across the page - perhaps immediately after the files had been unzipped.

The Epson Scan program *succeeded* in installing, and I was able to scan a page into the computer. But I have now removed every trace as far as I can of Epson.

One early symptom, which no longer appears, was that I got: "The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable" box, when fiddling with Print functions, I think.

Another pos. symptom is that Procexp currently shows:

GUI.exe
    ouc.exe
    csrss.exe
    winlogon.exe
    lsm.exe

running but with " [Error opening process] "

I also tried stopping Print Spooler in Local Services - but it didn't make any difference to anything.

Any help to restore my printing functions v. gratefullly received.

2. rafa

rafa Private E-2

UPDATE:

I managed to do a system restore to BEFORE Epson installation - by disabling AVG -

but the above non-printing symptoms *still* occur

I did a Malwarebytes scan *and* Ccleaner *and* AdwreCleaner scan -

that eliminated many Conduit malware - and have successfully disabled it from Startup

but all non-printing symptoms still there

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. rafa

rafa Private E-2

Hi,

Many thx for kind attention.

Attach 4 main reports per your removal guide.

Please note - while MGTools running, Hijack This box popped up, so I let it run, and it GOT STUCK at Printer information. I then cancelled it, and MGTools, no longer stuck, proceeded to complete and produce MGTools.zip file.

It's v. late, so am still running Malwarebytes, wh. I ran already a short while ago. It then detected 52 infected objects,including all those Conduit. Currently it has detected 12, and looks as if that will be about it.

It's v. late, so I may just leave computer on, and come back to this in morning.

Thx again for your help

Attached Files:

5. rafa

rafa Private E-2

P.S. And here is the Mbam log

Attached Files:

6. rafa

rafa Private E-2

PPS Plus Hijack This Log

Attached Files:

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>If you still have a Ccleaner backup it prompts you to do and did a full scan,
    try performing a recovery. Registry cleaners do more harm than good.

8. rafa

rafa Private E-2

Peterr,

Thx but don't have CCleaner backup - & after all cleanup ops. am still in same position I started - with all printing-related ops. non-functional.

There was a small diff. just now. It came after 2nd Mbam scan - removing 1 last object quarantined by Adware . On restart, I could open Word and open/save various files, and also Devices and Printers. But then I checked Notepad, and it crashed on trying "Print". And then everything printing was non-functional again.

Arggh! Any thoughts? Why would malware attack printing and only printing ops ? Is the problem pos. something else?

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>The pros here know better than I but I would count on MBAM and once it cleans all, I would got to my printer manuf. for and enter my printers stats to see if there is an update or a pkg to install with drivers etc.

10. rafa

rafa Private E-2

Peterr

Been back to Epson - they couldn't help. From Googling, there seem to be various printing problems that are related to this, though never in connection with malware - and they seem to be difficult to solve. But it all happened *after* trying to install Epson.

11. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>If you are still running Avg try removing it and activating your MSE with firewall.
    Are you behind a router? If the setting are too tight what you need might not get through. Comcast normal setting blocks some needed entries on my pc.
    ?Old image you could recover from?
    If SFC shows issues, try cmd as admin > Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

12. rafa

rafa Private E-2

Thx. Disabling AVG seems to make no diff. Was neces. for doing System Restore to before Epson install - but printing probs remain same after Restore, although they were not originally there!

I did a second sfc just now - wh. fixed some errors (CBS.log too large to u/l ). An sfc yesterday also fixed errors.

But on reboot, after initial successful Word open, it won't close and all printing probs. remain.

[I don't have an old System Image and no System Restore worth trying]

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Did you cmd as admin > Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

14. rafa

rafa Private E-2

Peterr,

Won't run:

"error 87 the restorehealth option is not recognized in this context

15. rafa

rafa Private E-2

PLODR/ PETERR

TimW on malware forum you linked me to says it's NOT a malware issue - the logs are clean

should be dealt with here (if you're still looking! :) )

16. plodr

I read this thread and the one in malware.
    explain what happened to let you know the install failed.

Unfortunately that does not mean it is uninstalled cleanly.

These are the steps for uninstalling. Note that you have to disconnect it from the computer. http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/faq/12300/3574
    Now if it is partially on the computer, I'm not sure what you'd do to cleanly uninstall it.
    Maybe go through these steps http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/faq/12300/4196

17. rafa

rafa Private E-2

Thx. I saw that Epson guide already and had checked most stuff I thinK:

no EPSON folder in Program files folders
    no OEM files - certainly not SEIKO - in Windows\inf
    no EPson files in windows\system32\spool\ drivers - except for old 2010 Epson.dll and loads of other old dll files in ...\drivers\x64
    nothing at all in ...\Printers or \servers folders in same location under ..."spool\"

Print Spooler Service has always been running, except when I switched off

there are no print jobs running

yet still nothing printing works - and MicrosoftPrintFIxit (or whatever) still stalls when Checking Print Spooler

and all those exe files I listed still show as "Error opening process" in procexp

have some files been corrupted?
    should I try a System Repair with the orig. Windows disk?

Thx again (real bugger this one)

18. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>If you have run SFC then DISM right after with no good results I am stuck but I would listen to Plodr's advice regarding malware. You ran Chkdisk right?

19. rafa

rafa Private E-2

Thx peterr . Chap at sevenforums has been doing some heroic stuff re some of my affected files through Cmd such as:

"Tampered Service: sppsvc"

and re-righting a lot of Access denied,

but prob still not quite cracked. Perhaps some strange interference with printer queue or somesuch - because Word/Notepad can now print first files on reboot, but then go into same old hang.

Perhaps plodr has ideas. Will let you know what happens

20. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Good luck Rafa.
    Peter

21. plodr

Sorry, I never owned an Epson printer. We have 4 working HPs in the house. So I have no ideas.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds