all scans keep freezing plz help?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Davies70, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Davies70

Davies70 Private E-2

Hello, I am new here so I hope I have posted in the right section for my problem :)

I am trying to sort out my friend's laptop which is having trouble completing full scans. I have run mbam scan, avira scan, mse scan and others and they all get stuck and freeze when they get to a certain point. The whole laptop just locks up I can sometimes still move the mouse but nothing reacts to it if it moves at all. I tried alt, ctrl, del to bring up task manager but this does not work either. The only thing I can do is power off the computer and turn back on. These are the two places the scans freezed at this morning:

c:windows\winsxs\manifest\x86_microsoft_windows_msxml60_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.1674

c:\windows\winsxs\manifest\x86_microsoft_windows_msxml60.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_en-us_d35c90528a6fc9a6.manifest

Could anyone help me with this problem please?

Thank you.

She is running HP G7000 notebook
    windows vista home basic

2. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I would update the scanners, then boot into safemode WITHOUT networking, then try to scan. Others may offer better/different advice .

3. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi Davies 70,
    Welcome to MG's. Are these scans in relation to the Read Me Run Me ...

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 ...

If so I would try running all of the scans in SAFEMODE,(f8 on re-boot), without networking turned on, it is more than likely that malware/virus infection is preventing you from completing these scans. Please follow all of the instructions in the malware section,anymore issues arising from not been able to run the scans please create a new thread there, as they are the best people to deal with this type of issue.

iain.t :major

4. Davies70

Davies70 Private E-2

Hi, I will go through the malware section and see if it helps but I think I have run every free program/scanner I can get my hands on. I rebooted in safe mode only and rescanned with mbam (after making sure everything was updated) and it froze again, not even mouse pointer control it stopped on:

c:\windows\winsxs\manifest\x86_microsoft-windows-msxml30_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.22709_none_8900eb63afeb94ff.manifest

I will repost in the malware forums if the programs on here do not work.

Thanks.

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi...it seems you feel there are malware issues, so you should definitely go through all steps in the READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker) thread.

As stated in the instructions:

Malware can stop security software from running properly. That is addressed in the above link.

You'll need to address anything else in the Malware Forum, as stated.

Good luck.:)

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Before you start scanning (in safe mode) and disconnected from the internet, open Task manager and kill some of the processes.

Also be aware that Malwarebytes recommends doing the quick scan, not the extended one. I hope that is what you were trying to run.

7. Davies70

Davies70 Private E-2

Hi, thank you for all your replies and help. I spent most of yesterday completing the read me run me and then the malware removal steps. I then checked for the problem again and it is still happening. It's with any scan I try to do mse ect. I will now post in the malware forums and see if I can get any help there but thank you so much again for your help and suggestion here.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds