Alternate Browsers

Discussion in 'Software' started by StoneHenge, Jan 29, 2011.

1. StoneHenge

StoneHenge Private E-2

I have recently had some issues with my HDD being infected, and then reporting false positives. In the past few weeks I've run MBAM quite a few times, and each time it scans the RockMelt browser files & folders it takes forever to be be scanned through. Chas' sticky: How to Protect yourself from malware, Item#7 indicates - Install a backup browser just incase you run into problems with Internet Explorer.

I figured that RockMelt would be a sufficient browser to have as a backup, but it seems to require more updates, longer loading times, and more CPU resources than an alternate/backup browser should. I sometimes think it takes more resources than my extensions- /addons-rich FireFox profile does!

While I enjoy using RockMelt for connecting with social media I have failed to see how it is better than a Mozilla or Opera browsing experience.

I'd appreciate any feedback on using RockMelt as a backup.

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

RockMelt iirc is based of Googles Chrome backend of Chromium and as such is a beta application and as such can be prone to issues as in performance so personally I wouldnt be using a beta if you are having issues with your PC.

I would stick to Opera or Firefox and Opera 11.01 would be my choice at present, espeically if your having issues of CPU usage from the one your using at present.

3. StoneHenge

StoneHenge Private E-2

David,

I have definitely experienced the "performance issues" side of RockMelt. In the past I used Opera on occasion but I primarily use FireFox. Opera 11.01 will be my next upgrade after I resolve the false positives issue I mentioned.

Much obliged for you opinion!

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Another vote for Opera although I still use version 10.6.

5. StoneHenge

StoneHenge Private E-2

@hrlow2

Why 10.6? what was added to the 11-series upgrade that you didn't like? Just wondering b/c I don't know much about Opera, but if it's anything like FF, I'm sure some addons are no longer compatible with newer versions...

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

No particular reason.
    I just like it.

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Actually, Opera 11 now has Extensions as a new feature.

You can preview some of the new features HERE

Another browser that I use use sometimes is K-Meleon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds