Alternative to Gmail?

Discussion in 'Software' started by floridaze, Nov 26, 2010.

1. floridaze

floridaze Private E-2

I hope it's OK to post this in this forum, as I didn't see any subforum for internet topics.

I love Gmail for the most part, except for what I feel are privacy issues. I use IMAP to read my mail from one account in Thunderbird, but I use webmail for all my other Gmail accounts.

Does anybody happen to know or use a webmail offering similar to Gmail? I like the instant notification of a new message when the Gmail window is open, the grouping into conversations, etc. I also like the POP/IMAP option, especially being free. I'm hoping for a free alternative with a similar interface, but I'd pay if it was really, really good. Privacy is a supreme issue. No web beacons like Yahoo and its ilk if such an options exists any more. rolleyes

Thanks!

2. floridaze

floridaze Private E-2

Actually, if anybody would know of a webmail provider in which I could just collect all of my Gmail accounts, that would be fine. I have several and I don't want to POP them all to Thunderbird.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hotmail will let you add 4 POP email accounts from Gmail. Is that what you mean?

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Fastmail.fm is a good one. It starts off free and then you pay for more features. It also supports IMAP. I'm not sure I've seen any with conversations like gmail, though.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. floridaze

floridaze Private E-2

Hotmail, or Windows Live mail? I'll have to look at Hotmail again, if that's the case. It's been a long time since I had an account with them because features were so few and spam was so bad. I'll see if it will let me gather my Gmail into one Hotmail account. Thanks!

7. floridaze

floridaze Private E-2

Thank you, satrow and Laura! I'll look at both. Much appreciated.

8. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

9. floridaze

floridaze Private E-2

Thanks!

10. stvh1

stvh1 Private E-2

Gmail is the King ! Why change to one of these crappy e-mail programs. Hotmail is a hackers dream ! You get more Spam than regular mail !

11. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Huh?! Methinks thou art confusing Hotmail and Facebook users with Hotmail; my Gmail account attracts more than 10x as much spam as both my Hotmail accounts combined - and I've never sent an email from Gmail in the 5 years I've had the account ...

My GMX account - none.

My Yahoo acc., similar to Gmail.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds