Am I in need of options other than "slave drive"?...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cynthellis, Oct 2, 2006.

1. cynthellis

cynthellis Private E-2

I've recently gotten a new HP Media center w/ XP, i also still have my old computer w/ windows 98 SE and i want to get the stuff on my 98 hard drive onto the XP hard drive but the connections between hard drives arent the same; there is no ribbon connector at all on the media center hard drive and only 1 IDE pin connector slot on the XP motherboard. Are there different options available to me for doing this? Can someone please tell me what to do? The XP Media center is packed full of media jacks and storage drives; just dont know much yet. I also need to know why when i left click on drive C:in my computer (and a few more programs) i get the search window {with the dog;does it EVER ,EVER find anything!!?} then,i have to go back n right click n use the menu of which search is the first menu option, then open n so on.Is that a setting that im missing?;annoying... as always, i'm grateful for the help.... thanks! Cyn

2. Higara7

Higara7 Private E-2

Well, how much money do we have to work with?

3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

May take a while but, why not just burn the things down to cd's. ed

4. cynthellis

cynthellis Private E-2

Aint cheap:D back 2 my problem w/ my computer. Cyn

5. cynthellis

cynthellis Private E-2

ok im not stupid; but for the luxery of bieng a woman i cant seem to get data burned onto cd's. I bought Blaze Media Pro n love how easy it is but have a hard time getting any data burned.? im gonna give the win98 2 my 4 yr. old to play games on so there's only a bigger handful of programs that i want off of 98. why the money question? whats the suggestion? I wont spend more than 50.00 on this mess i have here right now. ??? Cyn

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

How easy is a program that you cant get to work? The transfer software is expensive, but you might be ahead to take it to a local repair shop and have them do it, and maybe save money doing it that way. ed

7. candle_86

candle_86 Private E-2

Your new HD is SATA, your old is ATA133, unplug a CD Rom drive that matchs the configuration of your old hD, im assuming its MAster or CS, so unplug the top drive (usally the master) and plug your old hard drive in. AS for program transfers what kinda programs are we talking about>?

8. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Just transferring programs will not guarantee that they will work! Most programs's installation routines put files in the registry that are necessary for the programs to work correctly/properly.:)

9. tmiller67

tmiller67 Private E-2

If your just transfering files then WalMart has Linksys routers for about $20. If your wanting to move the programs then, as said above, you won't have the registry entries necissary for them to work. You'll need the install files for programs that need moving.

10. cynthellis

cynthellis Private E-2

the programs that i cant seem to just download again and register over are Blaze Media Pro, probably due to the product id {the new "trial" download has, of course, than the original download on 98. Fish Tycoon registered; a few others in games n multimedia...the installation {EXE.}files are on win98; but im not getting the data burning right. i use CD-RW cd's,is that what i should use?havent burned data,only music. thanx Cyn

11. cynthellis

cynthellis Private E-2

the 98SE hard drive in the master cdrom??im going to try that! thanx Cyn

12. cynthellis

cynthellis Private E-2

yeah, about the local repair shops... well,im not goin' there; i live in GRAND ISLAND,NEBRASKA!!! im taking a PC repair course for that very reason. Its a Great!! thing i have u guys n my tutors... it has to be something im not doing right, cuz i use Blaze media Pro for all ripping/burning. im just ignorant about it n data ive tried doesnt burn as exe. programs; its wierd files??. what do u make of that? hmmmmmm thanx CYN

13. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Why not connect the Win98 drive as a slave and just get the files you need to your pc and reinstall programs, since they wont work anyways when beiong transferred.

14. cynthellis

cynthellis Private E-2

i'm just thanking all who helped or tried!! i didnt think that this should work at all, but it did! Genius,CANDLE_86. Much gratitude to u all. CYN

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds