Am I paranoid or careful?

Discussion in 'Software' started by gal1998, Jul 17, 2004.

1. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Here is a list of programs I have for anti-junk
    Avast
    ZA
    Ad-aware
    Spybot S&D
    CWShredder
    Spyware Blaster
    Spyware Guard
    Spyware Doctor
    RegSeeker
    CCleaner
    CachemanXP
    Cleanup
    HDCleaner
    RegCleaner
    Emptemp

I run some of these all the time, some I check daily, some weekly.
    Am I being overly paranoid? Or are there even other programs I should run to keep my computer clean of those nasty thing?

I do, also, occasionally run online checks from hometrend and panda

Gal

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Both... but then again these days you have to be a bit of both... YES?

If your happy in running those apps at the intervals you do run them then thats ok, there are no wrong in running those types of apps for security reasons.... things would be worse if you didnt run them?

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Gal, I use about 10 of these myself on W98 system. As long as they do what you want them to do and don't conflict with each other, keep going. Read the MG threads carefully and you will soon see what "they" recommend. You have to be satisfied it does what you require, though. No one else can tell you what is best, what is enough, what is too much for you and your PC. We have to be a bit paranoid to keep out the nasties on standalone PC's. Those behind networks have it a bit easier, I think, hardware firewalls and all, etc. Bazza

=====

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It's not being paranoid when they are really out get you. I've got a list just as long.

5. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

heh... i use:

Avast
    Sygate Personal Firewall
    Spyware Blaster
    Adaware
    Spybot
    Crap Cleaner
    RegCleaner

6. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

Looks a lot like mine:)

I rather be paranoid than sorry.........:D

7. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Nah, you're just a geek like the rest of us here :D

You should see my list of system utils :eek:

8. Integer

Integer Private E-2

There is nothing wrong with running the programs if that makes U feel safe but U should really learn your system and how to config your system properly. Most of the programs listed allow u to tune your system using methods which are already well known and common in a windows and some even in an nix enviroment when it comes to spyware/malware.

just my 2cents

9. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Thanks for the input everyone.
    It is a good day when my computer comes up as clean.
    Alanc, I am honored to be called a geek :)
    Thanks again.

Gal

10. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

One for me, Ad-Aware.

11. barnburner

barnburner Private First Class

Under the old adage " an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" - - one download of Firefox is worth 4 downloads of spyware removers.....
    Since making the switch from IE to Firefox a few months ago - spyware has ceased to be a problem in my computers.

12. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Hey BeerMonkey, if you aren't using an antivirus and firewall proprams I would highly suggest it.

13. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

I am almost convinced to switch to Firefox.
    I am a chicken that it will be too hard for me to use after reading some of what you have to do.

Kind of like the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks".

Gal

14. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

I'll second the vote for Firefox...I use IE for windows update and that's about it...I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that MS will soon open up access to Windows Update from other browsers considering the press they've goten lately over IE.
    Yours,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds