ambulance sound coming from computer...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ozorowsky, Oct 31, 2004.

1. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

ok, I am building my brother a computer with my old hardware. It keeps sounding like an ambulance when it tries to startup. Gets to like the beginning of windows (ME) and then starts intermittently beeping sounds just like an ambulance. So I went and bought a FLoppy drive (Didn't have one in initially) and now am trying to install windows XP. I boot from CD and it gets to the part where it says hit esc to agree to the terms and whatever then I hit escape and starts beeping. My only thought is that maybe his hard drive is not compat with this motherboard? The HD is off of a Hewlett Packard with a 950mhz processor. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

2. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

anyone have any thoughts? It's only halloween, I thought I would have LOTS of replies, LOL

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Did you put the heatsink on properly, and is the CPU fan plugged in.

4. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

yes and yes

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Make sure that BIOS virus protection is off (if its even supported)

If you've got the facilities, check the temperatures of the system in bios.

Can you boot to CD without the HD plugged in? If you can, and it doesnt beep, then it can't be the HD.

Are all of the cards/sticks of ram slotted in completley snugly?

6. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Hi,

Did you clean the hs and apply new paste. That alarm is cpu overheat

Rick

7. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

To be honest, I've NEVER applied any paste to any of the computers I've built. Is it really necessary?

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Errr, yes... you really do need thermal paste. Go get some AS 5 or Ceramique, then read the Arctic Silver instructions.

How many systems have you made like this :eek:

9. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

A good 20 over the past 6 or so years and never had a problem. THe bottom of heat sinks that come with processors have some kind of paste or something under them don't they?

10. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Yes the hs that come with the processors have a thermel pad on them but when you remove any hs you must clean with isopropyl alcohol and apply new paste.

In my experiance, when removing the stock themal pad you also need to lap the hs to remove it completely.

Rick

11. YOO

YOO Private E-2

no sh***t :rolleyes:

12. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I had that problem but it was a usb2.0/firewire card I had installed.
    Put the bare min. parts in and start it up. My sys was fine till that
    card was installed and it would 'siren' after boot.

13. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Oh ok, not quite as disasterous as I thought. Thermal pads are okay... not brilliant though. Better than nothing. You don't need to lap it to remove it, you just need a lint free cloth, some isopropanol alcohol and some paint brush cleaner :)

Rub the paint brush cleaner onto the pad, and rub it off as it dissolves. Then wash thoroughly with the alcohol. And its sorted.

But anyway, sounds like your CPU should be fine with a pad. As foogoo says, go through the troubleshooting procedure. Disconnect everything but ram, cpu and graphics card (everything, including the hard drive). Keep adding components till you get the sound, and bob's your uncle, you've found your problem

14. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

Turns out heatsink was slightly loose. Thank you all for the help. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds