amd 3200 athlon 64 overheating HELP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hometwnpc1, Dec 29, 2007.

1. hometwnpc1

hometwnpc1 Private E-2

Hello, I am building a new system for a family member and have installed a amd athlon 64+ 3200 cpu socket 939 with the stock heatsink/fan, this is installed on a elitegroup rs482-m motherboard with 128 mb ddr2 ram . my issue is when i try to boot it up it runs fine for about 20-25 minutes , then it beeps and shuts down after that i can reboot but it will shut down in about 2 minutes. i have applied spectracool thermal grease to the cpu as directed and the heatsink seems to seat well i can wrap my hand around the heatsink after it shuts down and its barely warm but the system says its running 101+c last time it shut down i removed the heatsink and the cpu was barely warm ? can someone help me?

2. hegemon875

hegemon875 Private First Class

Sounds to me like you might have put too much thermal compound on and its now acting as an insulator rather than conductor of heat. You should only use a dab about the size of an uncooked grain of rice.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

In addition hegemon's rock solid advice, you might consider the fact that the thermal detection built into the motherboard is faulty. It's a fairly common problem. If it's reading incorrectly, the built-in protection for overheating would kick in way too early and shut you down even though the real temp is acceptable. You check this a few ways: the best is to use one of those laser temp guns; they shoot out a laser beam and give a temp reading based on what you point the beam at, and they're really accurate, but they aren't cheap and most people don't have 'em just laying around (luckily my boss has one ;) ). You can use one of those indoor/outdoor digital thermometer units from RadioShack that have wired sensors for the temps; one sensor goes outside and sticks the window or whatever, stick this sensor on your heatsink as close to the CPU as possible without interfering with anything. The reading won't be perfectly accurate, but it should be pretty close. These units are usually about $25. OR- your local PC shop should have a unit that fits into a CD drive bay in your tower; these things have numerous temp leads for HD, CPU, etc. These are also about $25.... so, if you use one of these (or another) method to get a temp reading from the CPU, and it turns out that the MB sensor is out of whack, you can either set the shut down threshold temp much higher, or look into maybe a BIOS flash that addresses the problem, or simply turn off the temp protection in the BIOS, or if the MB is new, return it under warranty.

4. hometwnpc1

hometwnpc1 Private E-2

i reapplied the thermal grease still no change. the temp climbs in the bios from 65 to 110c within 3 min after the unit is sitting unplugged for 6 hours i used a digital thermometer next to the heat sink at the point the bios registers 110c the thermometer was barely at 60c my case temp is running at 25c im looking at the mb website to see if there are any new bios downloads for the mb that may fix this issue

5. Rogueisch

Rogueisch Private E-2

I know this thread is a little old, but for those out there overheating, I might have a solution when all else fails, and you have nothig to lose.

cool the die directly.

here's how I did it.

I had a 3200 overheating. I mean, I could barely make it to the bios, let alone actually try to LOAD anything on the computer. So, I went out and got a Katana cooler. No change. Within a minute or so, it woudl clime to 85 or so celcius and bam, the mother board woudl shut down.

I ordered a NEW 3500 to replace it. And the next day while I was waiting for my new chip to arrive I got to thinking:
    I thought: Really, when you get right down to it, there is no difference in the chip from an old T-bird, or Pentium 3. If I could get teh silver casing off the top of the processor, I wonder if I could cool it directly.

So... I took a razor blade. Pressed it in just enough to break the seal holding the silver on the top of the processor, and did not press in any further than that, fearing there might be exposed parts under that silver plate. And sure enough once I got all around the chip, off ti cam and it looked like an old T-Bird.

So, I cleaned it off, placed a bit of Arctic Silver 5 on the die, placed it on my socket 939 board, and a STANDARD nine-dollar cooler... it ran at bios, at 102. Or about 39 degrees celcius. No changes other than placing the heat-sink on it directly like us old-schoolers used to do. It runs fine.

Conclusion, I don't think all the silver plates may have gotten placed on ALL processers the same. dugh... so there might be some that need cooling directly. that was MY fix. It worked and still works fine.

for what it's worth there...

JB

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds