AMD 64 3200+ switch to X2 4800 CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whitewolf, Apr 14, 2007.

1. whitewolf

whitewolf Private E-2

I have my desktop running the single core 939 socket 3200+, and have been wanting to upgrade to a dual core like the X2 4800 939 socket. My question is; is this a straight changing of the CPU, or are there other things that I will have to change?confused

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

It depends on the motherboard. Read the manual or visit the mobo maker's web site and look up your particular model number. Check to be sure that your mobo will even support the X2 4800+; if it does, you might have to change some jumper settings on the board or alter some BIOS settings. However, many newer motherboards are pretty 'smart' when it comes to CPU upgrades, so it may be as simple as removing the old chip and putting in the new one. Be sure that your heat sink and fan will provide adequate cooling for the new CPU. Chances are, you will need to get a better cooling kit than the one currently on the 3200+. Good luck and let us know what happens!

hopperdave2000

:major And Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

3. sheesh721

sheesh721 Private First Class

Do you have the 754 or the 939 Processor? Also check your motherboard's website. Do you have a model number? I'm gonna say there's a good chance if you have a video card it's AGP and your motherboard won't run with the X2 chip. Did you build this yourself or is it a preconfigured PC? If so do you have a make and model number on it?

4. uberuberuber

uberuberuber Private First Class

just drop it in. Check and see if your mobo bios "check your makers website for cpu support" you might need to do a bios update to detect the 4800 also download the windows dual core fix or the AMD dual core optamizer.

you may also want to reinstall windows to make shure the install is. problem free and make shure your getting the full potentional of the chip.

as for the cooling. the stock amd hsf will work good. thats the same hsf used on all cpu's except the dual core optys but your going to see a rise in temps but you shouldnet need to worry about.

5. whitewolf

whitewolf Private E-2

Hopperdave, I have to admit that I posted this question before doing some leg work, sorry. I did find out that the mobo is a -MSI MS-7093, and that it will not support any of the X2's, but it will take the FX series or the 64-4000+. So now I need to decide which route to take. I am leaning towards the 4000 for a couple more years, and by then it should be pretty economical to change the mobo to upgrade to a top X2. There is not much of this original Emachine left inside anyway. Thanks to all for the help!

6. whitewolf

whitewolf Private E-2

sheesh721, its a no go on the X2, the mobo can not handle it. So I think I will go the 64-4000+ for a couple of years, and then change out the mobo/cpu. Thanks

7. whitewolf

whitewolf Private E-2

uberuberuber, thanks for the input, and the x2 will not work with my mobo.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds