Amd 64 athlon question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N84Christ, Dec 12, 2010.

1. N84Christ

N84Christ Private First Class

Does the 64 in the title " Amd 64 Athlon X2 " mean that it is 64 bit. I am buying a new windows install tp replace a crashed hard drive and I need to find out its speed, bit size and if the operating system that i will buy ( windows 7 home premium 64 bit O/S ) will work.

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

If indeed it is an AMD Athlon 64 X2, then yes it's a 64 bit processor and will run 64 bit Windows. That's what I currently have (processor) and I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

3. N84Christ

N84Christ Private First Class

Than you can you tell me how i would find out its speed. On the computer that crashed i loaded ubuntu (linux) so i am not familiar with how to find the speed of my processor.

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

It should be under the control panel (I forget what it's called in Ubuntu)... hardware details or something like that. Look around, it's not hard to find I don't think. Just open up anything that seems like it might have that information from the control/options windows.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

If this machine is running, I would use CPUz to identify the CPU. If not, the you need to physically look at the CPU and plug the numbers into your favorite search engine.

Note too that all your other hardware must support 64-bit too. This will not be a problem with the integrated devices on the motherboard, but if you have any add-on devices, 64-bit drivers will be needed.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds