AMD Athalon Processor Opinion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by munky4745, Aug 8, 2004.

1. munky4745

munky4745 Private First Class

Sup all

I have a question about what do you guys prefer. Should I purchase a amd athalon xp 3200+ or a amd mobile xp 2500+. Its for a desktop compy running xp home edition. Also how comparable is the Amd Athalon xp 3200+ compared to the AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor. Running a Radeon 9800pro, how much of a difference would I notice if I open my wallet more to get the Amd Athalon 64. I know its 64 bit but really whats well the difference in performance , stability , and such. I know the athalon 64 runs hoter, but well really, how much are you compromising on performance if I just went amd athalon 3200+ or amd mobile 2500+.

2. Jackson

Jackson Private E-2

Some of the performance tests I've seen show the AMD 64's do pretty well but I don't think the average user is going to see a huge difference until the 64 bit applications start showing up.

Just one opinion.

Jack

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

not much of a price diff between an xp and a amd64 i would defently go with a 64...plan a step ahead so you dont upgrade in 6-12months.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not only that, you would have to move to a 64 bit OS.

5. munky4745

Very Awewsome !!!!! Alright Athalong 64 all the way :). I was searching newegg.com and I only came across mother boards with no dual channel mode. Is this normal or is there any difference in speed for the athalon 64 since I was searching the higher priced boards and all I saw was 3-4 slot difference and in price. Is there such thing as a dual channel for an athalon 64 board. If so opinions about the dual channel mode. Is it worth paying the extra 2 cents for. Thanx :cool:

6. a-rob

a-rob Private E-2

you don't have to move to a 64-bit OS right now . . . i have the Athlon-64 3000+ and i love it.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

My point was, to see all of the benefits...

8. a-rob

a-rob Private E-2

also, i'm using the Albatron K8X800 Pro-II Via-K8T800+8237 Chipsets. Albatron is a new comany that is making MBs for a good price. i would recomend them to anyone on a budget. it has had no problems for me, and the reivews i have read about it have been for the most part positive. but i guess some people stick to one brand and never change.

9. a-rob

a-rob Private E-2

that's very true sorry for the misunderstanding

10. munky4745

I was searching www.newegg.com for amd athalon 64 motherboards and none of them have dual channel. Why is that?? Or do they already have dual channel??

11. little knowledge

little knowledge Private E-2

The AMD Athalon 64 dual channel processors come in the 939 and 940 pin packages. The 754 pin processors are limited to single channel. Newegg caries a couple of each. Not all inexpensive boads are cheap. I've purchased the K8comboZ that supports both the 754 single channel and 939 pin dual channel processors each with seperate memory dimm slots, 2gb max ea. I reviewed another site that compared this board with several other boards costing $20-$50 more with satisfying results.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds