Amd Liquid Cooled Cpu & Gpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aidan80, Dec 7, 2016.

1. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

Thought I'd share an update to my rig. I know it isn't the latest and greatest however it also didn't come with the latest and greatest price tag! I've swapped out the OEM cooling on my GPU and replaced it with the Arctic Hybrid III and so far it's just about cut my temps in half on that GPU. I can run just about everything at or near max settings. At full load the GPU is 50c or there about after a few hours. It'd hit around 45c while benchmarking using 3D Mark and 35c at idle. VRM temps are 40c - 60c. Fan on the VRM's normally rests around 20% or 600rpm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AMD FX 8320@4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz Turbo
    Corsair Hydro H90 (replaced OEM fan with one of the Noctua's)
    2x 140mm Noctua Fans
    24GB RAM
    Radeon R9 290 4GB (No OC yet)
    Arctic Hybrid III-120
    Cosmos 8 PCS Cooper VGA RAM Heatsinks
    480GB SSD SanDisk
    2TB HDD
    SB Audigy FX 5.1
    850W Sentey Modular Power Supply
    Antec Case P-100 Black

2. crookedbandit

crookedbandit Sergeant

where's the radiator cap!....lol

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Sure looks like gravity and that GPU cooler are pulling down quite a bit on that card. This could be putting some undue stress on the slot. At best, it means the electrical contact are not making solid contact with the most surface area. This leaves gaps for dust and air (which can promote corrosion). At worst, micro-fractures can develop in the slot, or motherboard under the slot - especially after repeated heat-up/cool-down cycles and/or heavy footfalls or other vibrations and jostling about.

You might consider visiting a pet/aquarium supply or hardware/home improvement store and get some rigid plastic tubing or a wooden dowel you can cut to size then use to prop the card up from the case bottom to make it sit perpendicular in the slot. The tubing typically comes in white, clear or black. And of course your can paint (or use permanent markers) the wooden dowel any color you want.

4. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

You are correct on the weight at the back end of the card. That's a heavy VRM cooler with fan back there. I like the idea of tubing to help prop it up.

5. crookedbandit

crookedbandit Sergeant

1055.jpg REAL water cooled !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds