AMD Radeon Card - Presets Don't Persist...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Jun 16, 2014.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Guys
    see if anyone knows a fix for this. I have a MSI Radeon 6450 card - pretty well-reviewed one from Newegg. While a good stable card, it manifests EVERY time the "display driver stopped responding" off-idle timing issues. The fix is to create a Preset with different than default idle clock and core clock settings. That works, as long as the Preset is in force. But something either in the AMD controls or Windows 7 keeps defeating the Preset on Reboot. In other words: set it once at boot and you're good to go, but when the system shuts down, reboots, restarts, you get to do it all over again.

The other thing is that its seemingly impossible with the AMD CCC to determine that the Preset actually IS in force - there are hundreds if not thousands of threads on this topic. If anyone has insight - I'd love to hear it.

All help greatly appreciated - this system is in the hands of a non-techy user and this problem will have me pulling the card if I can't find a way to make the Preset "stick".

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Not the same issue, but I had a problem with my Radeon HD 6850 losing the OverDrive option from the Catalyst Control Center on every reboot. Turned out that CCC didn't have the permissions to access some registry keys. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

You need to use an account that has full Admin access. The way I found to fix it was (in Regedit)

-Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ATI\ACE\SETTINGS
    -Right click the Settings key, select Permissions, then Advanced
    -Check Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object
    -Apply the changes, and restart the computer

This fixed my Overdrive issue. Perhaps it will take care of the preset issue you are having, as that key seems to pertain to some settings, at least. I suggest you back up your registry before doing any mucking about in it, as a general safety step.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

thanks for responding!
    this is new news and good news to me. actually it might be the 'cure' because I am not sure what was getting whacked that would cause the setting to be dropped on random reboots [or some other event I cannot identify]. in this case, since clock settings are at issue in the profile/preset, Overclock is essential - thus if it is knocked off, the Preset is toast.
    So I'll make the hack...err... adjustment to the reg

could I ask a related question: is there a GOOD way to know whether or not the preset is "set" and saved when it is invoked? there are a lot of threads on this and the only clue I picked up [unsure of validity] is that your chances are somewhat better when using CCC in the Basic View, not advanced. I have noticed in playing with the issue that when the Preset is not sticking, you get no feedback at all from the interface... in other words, you highlight the Preset, hit Apply, and that's it. the button seems to 'respond' to the press but there's no other response. on the other hand, it seems when it does actually trigger, there is a pause and visual feedback while the setting is "applied" - a pause until the button responds, then hit ok, then one must go to the Overdrive tickbox and invoke that. Still, for a novice, this is all guesswork - very uncertain. I'm looking for a more sure way.

though its a nice gesture, in the later issues of CCC, you may have noticed that right clicking on the icon in the taskbar, assuming you let it run at bootup, pulls a context menu and a selection to invoke one of your presets. again, you have zero indication of whether anything good comes of it.... it just makes you feel useful :-D

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

That I couldn't tell you. I can usually tell that the OverDrive function is working by the graphics, but if in doubt I pop into the CCC OverDrive tab and see what it is reporting the setting as.

I believe there are applications which monitor graphic settings "on the fly" . . . but I have no first hand knowledge of how they work, or how accurate they may be.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds