AMD Sempron & FSB settings?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bjgarrick, Oct 24, 2005.

1. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

I have a customer that has a ASRock K7VT6 Motherboard with a AMD Sempron 2500+ CPU, the board supports 200,266,333 & 400 MHz FSB.

Customer states this was purchased as a combo so everything should work together, problem is when running Windows, CPU only runs at 1700Mhz where it should be at 2500MHz. The computer will run fine at 200,266 & 333 MHz FSB but will reboot over and over when set to 400MHz FSB. I read the paper on it and it states it should run at 400MHz but it does not, it reboots over and over.

Any ideas?

2. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Did you change the fsb jumper to cover pins 2 and 3, and try setting the cpu frequency control to manual and select 400mhz.

3. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Scratch that i just thought about it and the 2500 sempron is only rated at 1.75ghz.

ZipZoomFly

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

correct AND only rated at 333fsb hence the reboots at 400 fsb settings. AMD 2500 just means it compares to an intel 2.5 gig

5. bjgarrick

10-04, Thanks for the information!

Like I said when I set the jumpers to 400MHz FSB, the computer will come up and the BIOS splash screen comes up and says "2100 MHz" where on 333MHz its 1.75

It will attempt to boot, WindowsXP bootscreen will come up and it will restart the machine so I guess it will only run at 333MHz which is 1.75

6. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

No problem Big guy

7. bjgarrick

One more thing, if customer wants a AMD Athlon XP CPU, will this board support it?

8. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

lLooks like it does the listing for the 3100 and 2900 make no since because as far as i know they do not exist.
    ASRock CPU Support List - K7VT6-C

Really all the sempron's are rebaged XP processors, the best place to look is Newegg they have plenty of oem xp's pretty cheap.

9. bjgarrick

10-04, thanks again!

10. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

I checked and the 2900 and 3100 were mainly sold as combo deals and made for big oem companies, if he wants one of these he may have to do a bios update.

11. bjgarrick

Basically the Sempron 2500+ will only run at 1750MHz only? If he wants a AMD Athlon 2000MHz he will need a BIOS update?

12. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

he will need a processor that will do 2.0ghz like the xp 2700 or the xp 2800, 3000 or a sempron 3000 will do 2.0ghz. The 2500 is just a rating code amd gives their processors. The best way is to look and see what ghz the processor is rated at.

13. bjgarrick

10-04, I think I will order him the Athlon XP 3000+, for this I will need a BIOS update, correct?

14. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

The bios update was just for those two processors which are hard to find.. all other processors should be fine.

15. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

are you going to order retail or oem, check newegg for the oem most online places are high for the retail xp processors. I just checked newegg and they have the 2800 which is 2.08 ghz and 512k l2 cache for $ 88.00 The 3000 starts at $ 100.00 and goes up. Tjhere wil be little difference in performance for the price.

16. bjgarrick

Usually I buy from buy.com but there site says the AMD's are unavail. from the manufacture. I guess I will go to my other place maxgroup.com and get it.

In your opinion, what would you get?

OEM or Retail:
    Athlon XP 2800+ 2250MHz 333MHz FSB
    Athlon XP 3000+ 2100MHz 400MHz FSB
    Athlon XP 3200+ 2200MHz 400MHz FSB

17. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

i would go for price versus performance if the 300 with 400mhz Fsb is not to much than i would get it but the 2800 will probably be cheaper and you will not notice to much of a performance drop. this depend on if his memory is pc2700 or pc 3200 which are 333mhz and 400mhz. you will want to match the memory for the best performance.

Amd quit making the socket a processors so some retailers are charging accordingly.

18. bjgarrick

The memory is PC2700 DDR it runs fair but he wants it faster lol. I'm not familiar with AMD, I only use P4.

19. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

yeah if he wants the most performance than it is better to match the ram to the cpu . Most people can not tell the difference in pc2700 or pc 3200 unless you benchmark the system. But if he want the 400mhz cpu it would be best to get the pc 3200 memory. That is why Intel came out with ddr2 with a higher mhz memory.

20. bjgarrick

Okay, since he alredy has the PC2700, which CPU would you recommend?

21. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

There shoud be a 3000 xp that is 333mhz but it is not going to be much faster than the 2800, not noticable

22. bjgarrick

Okay, for price, performance, memory, board, the Athlon XP 2800+ 2250MHz 333MHz 256KB is the one I need?

I think this will be a little bit faster than the 1.7 Sempron, hopefully! LOL

23. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

yeah 400mhz will be faster.

24. bjgarrick

These are 2 of these, I should get the 512KB Cache, correct? On the CPU support list, both are 333 MHz do I need the 400FSB? If I go with 400FSB I would need to go with the 3000 wouldnt I?

462 Athlon XP 2800+ 2250MHz 333MHz 256KB n/a All
    462 Athlon XP 2800+ 2083MHz 333MHz 512KB n/a All

25. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

well i was going to say something about that if he like to play a lot of games the extra cache will help but i have an 2700 xp with 256k lL2 cache and a mobile 2400 barton (512 L2 Cache) overclocked to the same speed and the difference is not noticable I would go with the more mhz.

26. bjgarrick

10-04, Athlon XP 2800+ 2250MHz 333MHz 256KB it is!

Thanks for your time!

27. theefool

theefool Geekified

edited....

28. bjgarrick

29. bjgarrick

30. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

31. bjgarrick

I can't find the one your talking about?

32. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

I went backed and checked it is not listed anymore, was there yesterday. it is the xp 2700 if you can find it at another site.

33. theefool

theefool Geekified

34. bjgarrick

That's the one I think I wil get, I wasnt sure about the price as I know nothing about AMD, I only use P4 so I wasnt sure if $137.00 was too high or not for this CPU.

But yeah the customer has PC2700 DDR RAM, this CPU should work a lot better than the AMD Sempron 1500+ Im guessing?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds