AMD X2 + Motherboard advice for a friend

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ssjchris_29, Sep 25, 2005.

1. ssjchris_29

ssjchris_29 Private E-2

A friend of mine is looking into upgrading his computer (old dual 500Mhz Celeron system) and is looking into the the X2 3800 processor. He needs a motherboard, and he wants it to have AGP becuase he got a 6600GT for 50 bucks from a good friend of his. Can anyone here give recommendations to what socket 939 boards support AGP, have decent overclocking capabilities, supports dual channel, and also has support for at least 5 hard drives and 2 optical drives (he has a rather large library, but the drives range in size from 40 - 200 gig drives). Thanks for any help!

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Any Gigabyte, Asus, or Abit I'd go for as they all seem reliable for this sort of thing.

3. kiwiredman10

kiwiredman10 Private E-2

To be fair that is a very "strange" set-up for a motherboard, compared to the "norm". AGP is being phased out so most of the new 939 mobos only support PCI-E.

I assume the hard drives are IDE? That makes it even harder because you would need three IDE slots to fit in 5 hard drives and 2 optical drives (with 2 HDD on one, 3 on another, and the 2 opticals on the third), which on a new 939 is unlikely because they are trying to integrate SATA and phase out IDE.

Here is one I found, not sure about IDE connectors, but it supports AGP:

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=201

I had a hard time finding anything I tell you!

Anyway, good luck! :)

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds