AMD64x2 6400+BE or AMD Quad 9850 BE?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mrkwhlr2, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Mrkwhlr2

Mrkwhlr2 Private E-2

I have an Asus m2n-sli deluxe board and it is limited to a amd9850 quad. I presently have an amd64x2 6400+ BE

I mostly game. Will I see an increase in performance buying the quad 9850 or should I stay with the 64x2 6400+ BE.

My prestent specs are as follows:
    AMD 64x2 6400+ BE
    Asus M2n-sli deluxe mobo
    2 x evga 8800gtx in sli
    Vista 64bit
    (8) gig (4x2gig) XMS2 memory

2. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

if you play newer games that will take advantage of all 4 cores, then yes, you will see an improvement.

3. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

get a new mobo and get a core i7, those things are screaming fast! and soooooooo easy to overclock, i had mine up to 3.6ghz stable but i turned it back to factory because i saw no point in having it overclocked as i did not see much of a increase in speed cuz thing has eight logical cores!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

While an option, I would highly doubt that the original poster would wish to be spending alot more cash updating mobo and CPU, over just a CPU as seems their chosen route is AMD over Intel at this point.

@Mrkwhlr2 _ to be honest with not many games really taking advantage of multicores, and your system setup being very good already with 2x8800gti's I would imagine that the games are working fine FPS wise, and dont think that the leap from 2 cores to 4 cores will reap you huge rewards for the extra cost.

Are you having issues with speeds in games?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds