An easy dual channel DDR question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CoreOxide, Jul 19, 2007.

1. CoreOxide

CoreOxide Private E-2

Heya..

One of my RAM sticks gone bad (it says it is a 1 GB stick although it's 512 MB) and I need to get a new one, so my question is will a 4-chip stick work in dual channel mode with a 8-chip stick (both are the same frequency and CL)?

Thanks.

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

If the specs are similar, it should work. However, there is a lot of variation in specs, so you need to pay careful attention to what your getting.

I still haven't wrapped my head around things like latency, but I have done what you're talking about without any problems. In my case it was DDR PC2700, I notice you didn't mention the speed on yours. The faster the memory, the pickier it will likely be.

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

It should, but it really depends on how picky your motherboard is. Did you run Memtest on the 'bad' module to make sure thats the issue?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds