An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. Internal Setup dat

Discussion in 'Software' started by Turloch macdhomnail, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Turloch macdhomnail

Turloch macdhomnail Private E-2

Windows XP Home SP3

Hard to know where to start with this one.

The other night I tried to start Windows. The start up screen froze, and the mouse, and what sounds like the fan came on strong and constant. lately I've had a lot of this over use of fan for prolonged periods, especially after a long session or when downloading. Seems unnatural.

So the only way to switch off was holding the start button for 5 secs.

Restarted OK.

Next day the same freeze, manual restart, this time I got a corrupt SYSTEM file in c:\windows\system32\config, and pc remained in DOS. All I could think to do was to go in via Recovery Console and TYPE the SYSTEM and SYSTEM.SAV files. The 1st was very different so I copied the .SAV over to SYSTEM.

This time I got further, to the Windows start screen but then it goes into Windows Setup mode and the fan goes mad again. It purports to have passed the collectiong info, dynamic update, prep installation stages and to be on Installing Windows. This happens incredibly rapidly (ie you don't see these stages - the screen 1st appears on this stuck stage)
    Fatal Error dialolg comes up "An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. Internal Setup data structures are corrupted (phase 0)". OK to view setup log then cancel and it goes through the whole cycle ad infinitum.

I've caught the boot with F8 and tried "Last known good configuration" but no joy. I don't know how to get out of this nightmare. All I can do is switch off power. Please can someone help

Appreciate it.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Re: An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. Internal Setup

When the fan comes on strong and for long periods it is trying to tell you there is a heat problem. Have you opened the computer and dusted out the inside?

Turning off the computer by holding in the power button may have corrupted some files.

If you can get it running without the strong fan noise, someone can help you use recovery mode to repair your XP SP3 install.

3. Turloch macdhomnail

Turloch macdhomnail Private E-2

Re: An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. Internal Setup

Thank you for the reply. I gave the case a very good clean out last Oct after a major systetm problem, and I had the HD out. May as well have another look, I suppose.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds