An Idea that worked

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kilowatt, Mar 6, 2004.

1. kilowatt

kilowatt Private E-2

I just got a new 3000+ with the 400 FSB and wanted a good cooler for it. I was running a 1900+ with a volcano 6cu and my temps were pretty good I thought. I started reading reviews of coolers and found that aluminum does a better job of getting rid of the heat into the air but copper does a better job of getting the heat from the processor so I got an idea that the volcano 6cu should work very well and during my research I also found that the better coolers also had fins going down to the board. I drilled holes thru my heatsink to let air go down to the board even drilled thru the copper just left and area in the middle for the processor to sit. Then I added a 60mm to 80mm adapter and installed a Thermal Take smart fan and Artic Silver 5. I am now running 31C idle and 38C full load and this is from 2 sensors so I think the temps are real. I'v got the fan working off the temp probe so nice and quite when ideling but it does get louder under load. I also cut slots in the fan shroud like the silent fans from Themal Take But this didn't help much with the noise. But it cools very well.:D Also the specs say that the 2 processors put out the same amount of heat 68 watts which really suprised me.

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Can ya post pics i gatta see this :cool: .........

3. kilowatt

kilowatt Private E-2

I'll try tomorrow gotta take the dogs out now then going to bed.

4. kilowatt

kilowatt Private E-2

pictures

Here is one of the pictures and if you look very close you can see the holes between the fins.

Attached Files:

5. kilowatt

kilowatt Private E-2

another picture

Here's one with the thing running:D

Attached Files:

6. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Looks like my case with wirs everyware but my case is less colerfull........

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Im not sure I understand what you actually did? you drilled holes through the heatsink.. but what heatsink? the copper/alu one? or an all alu one? and why?

8. mudshot

mudshot Private First Class

Am i right in thinking that you drilled holes in the bottom to let air flow through the heat sink?

Sounds to easy why dont the manufacturers think of it

Does you hs fan suck air away or blow it down ?

9. kilowatt

kilowatt Private E-2

@ goldy yes I drilled thru the aluminum part and the copper part just leaving room for the die of the cpu this effectively gives you a larger area to move air across increasing heat exchange.

@mudshot I've got it blowing down into the heatsink also put tape over the large slots where the clip comes thru the side of the sink to contain the air and create more airflow over cooling areas. Some of the manufactures have fins that go down around the bottom of the heat sink and these seem to be the better coolers. As the cpu gets burned in the temps are coming down a little from fresh install. My grandson has been playing Emporer all day today and the temps were 36C when he got thru.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds