Analogue Stick problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ronald_Young_At_RCAT, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Ronald_Young_At_RCAT Private E-2

Does anyone know if there is a safe substance to use to lubricate (no sniggering...) an Xbox 360 analog stick? I slid a bit of old t-shirt under the stick (the ball type part that sits in the pad) to dust it as it looked pretty bad, and ever since it's started sticking and it's pissing me right off whenever I need to use subtle aiming movements. :angry:

I know talcum powder would probably have the opposite effect (and it's also completely killed another of my electronics products before - so be warned around the stuff) but I tried it anyway - pad still works but the stickiness is just as bad, if not worse.

I don't have an massive amount of disposable income, otherwise I'd just buy another controller as it's p!55ing me off so much...

Anyone know if something like Vaseline would be safe to use? Or is there something else that could be used safely?

Thanks.

2. kronus

kronus Private E-2

i had a ps2 pad with the same problem, so i used some wd40. I took the pad apart and sprayed around the base, you might be able to pull the thumb stick off but im not sure as you have a xbox controller.

i just dryed it as much i could with tissue paper and left it for 4hrs, stuck it in and it worked perfectly, no more annoying sticking.

but you do this at your own risk, as if their is any residue left on the pcb it might short.

hope it works,

Kron

3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

The biggest problem would be getting the screws out without breaking something. I've not had the... pleasure, of dissembling an XboX controller,but it's likely a simple matter of removing the screws, lifting the back off the face plate (so the buttons don't fall out), and removing the debris that the shirt left in side. Make sure to wipe around the hole the sticks poke through as well. Replace faceplate, and re-insert screws.

Unless Microsoft is using special screws, in which case it's better to just buy another one.

4. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Sorry, double post.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  5. Dread_2004

Dread_2004 Private First Class

WD40 has worked wonders for me in the past on console controllers, but a very tiny amout. Then dry with a tissue as Kronus said and let it dry. Instead of taking the pad apart i jsut sprayed the ball around the base of the joystick.

I also say do this at your own risk.

6. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Ronald_Young_At_RCAT Private E-2

Thanks for your replies! I'll tell you what happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds