Ancient Gateway Drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by poopface69, Jun 4, 2015.

1. poopface69

poopface69 Private E-2

Hi all, I'm knee deep in quite a project right now and I need some help.

I recently corralled all my buddies old computers and I'm in the process of getting them up and running again for a Windows 98 LAN party. It's been a lot of fun so far but support for 15 year old systems is lacking at best.

My current issue is that I need motherboard drivers for a Gateway Select 1400CS model, and I can't seem to find them anywhere. Did Gateway ever provide drivers for download? Does anyone still have some for me or a place where I can get them? Thanks in advance.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

CPU Athlon 1.4GHz
    Motherboard Chipset > 1106:0305 Revision 81
    Chip ID > VIA VT 82C686B, Pro Savage (KM133) 8A26
    MS-6389 Ver.1 S462 Motherboard (4000758)

Download at your own risk!
    This downloads a pdf which has a download link in it.
    Code:
    <snip>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
  3. poopface69

poopface69 Private E-2

Thanks man, I'll definitely check those out. Frankly I'm not too worried about any malicious software as I just recently built the computer from scratch and did a fresh install of Windows 98 on it. Worst comes to worst I'll just format again. Well, worst comes to worst I'll have to ditch the computer actually since I don't have any drivers for it... Thanks again.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Sounds like good fun. I reckon a lot of ppl who have never experienced Win 98 - well Win 98SE anyway - would be astonished at how capable it was, how quickly it boots, and at its tiny footprint. It had to be so to run on the hardware of the day.

5. poopface69

poopface69 Private E-2

tl;dr Don't download the suggested driver above, it's a virus.

So I got around to trying to install the drivers you recommended plodr, but it looks like it's just a virus. I put it on a CD and tried installing it on my Gateway, but it said it needed a newer version of Windows to run, and in fact the file itself said it was a "downloader". I did some quick searches of the site it's hosted on and it's a Russian site, no thanks lol.

I did a little more searching and found a similar site with a virus (I scanned both files). I now tried to contact Gateway support to see if they have them archived somewhere, but their customer support line requires a valid serial and, surprise, the serial I'm using isn't in their database. I think I'm going to call this one dead and move on.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Can someone please remove my code from post #2. I do not want a link to a site serving viruses showing in this thread.

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Done

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds