And now computer will not turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JeanetteNZ, Oct 14, 2009.

1. JeanetteNZ

JeanetteNZ Private E-2

Hi guys, I need help with Packard Bell Windows xp sp3 around 4 years old, cant remember specs sorry. I bought off auction site 1 year ago and after running ok for 2 months it started turning off randomly and then would be fine for another few weeks then we couldn't turn it on at all. Moved house and decided to reconnect again after it being idle for 4 weeks and it worked great but realised it only turned on if we disconnected power supply completely the night before. Run Everest and overheating was not a problem so decided to put new power supply in but did not solve the problem. However a couple of weeks ago my daughter did not pull out plugs when turning off and now it will not turn on at all. From my research online I suspect its mobo but wanted to check with you guys before expanding my skills to replace my first mobo....

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Hello Kiwi, lol.

I assume this is a desktop?

One of the main indicators for a bad motherboard are swelling and or leaking capacitors which look something like:

Blown and Swollen to extreme

Swollen and leaking

Another indicator can be that no "lights" are coming on the mobo when your turn it on.

If you pull it apart further try and get any info of the mobo that you can like "MSI-7060 Ver.1" for example.

If you do think you are going to have to replace it you will need a similar one if you want to recycle all of the other parts.

3. JeanetteNZ

JeanetteNZ Private E-2

Hello Ozzie neighbour lol.....As the day wore on I decided I may as well replace the motherboard but could not locate any similar replacements as its a bit of a dinosaur. So have decided to upgrade and bought new mobo, processor etc etc and will tackle the job tomorrow with the help of some No.8 fence wire and a hammer......;)Thanks for your help.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Lol don't forget the 4 by 2, 9 inch nails and sledge hammer, but more importantly get the sheep out of the kitchen so you can work on the kitchen table.

If you want some help with some guides just ask:
    This one isn't bad
    http://www.informationweek.com/news...articleID=183702383&pgno=2&queryText=&isPrev=

http://windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/10/12/PerfectPC.html?page=2

Just take your time, if it gets frustrating "don't use the hammer", put it down and go for a 5min walk and come back.....;-).

5. JeanetteNZ

JeanetteNZ Private E-2

Ya couldn't resist the sheep joke...could ya....:-D.... Hopefully all will go smoothly today but will post again if I have problems.....with the computer or the sheep lol.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

JeanetteNZ, you are too polite. You need to tell Bold Eagle that sheep in the kitchen are a lot tamer than 'roos in the lounge. :-D

Seriously, I worked in OZ and toured NZ for 4 weeks on a holiday and enjoy both countries a lot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds