Animated icons, Image URLS ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cat_w_9_lives, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Do animated icons, image URLs take up more bandwidth/space? I think they do but not really familiar with. I know our IT dept is always reminding us about space, not using internet radio etc. and they have a huge room full of servers.

Just curious if they drain on site, found a cute kitty stealing a fish :) but if takes up more space not worth it, rather have the speed.

Also noticed senior members att. pics rather than using image urls mostly, so I'm a guessing there is a reason.

Curious Cat

*i just took a guess that networking would know more about this, so if in wrong area, sry.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Nah its so small it really doesn't matter in the long run. Go ahead and post it.

3. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

What abut the internet radio? My daughter listens to it. Does it use up my bandwidth?
    Just asking cause I have limited bandwidth.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Internet radio does use a constant stream of bandwidth. Now different streams use different amounts. Usually its like 50-60, or 128 for "high bandwidth" connections. Now theres a difference between a monthly transfer limit, or a bandwidth rate, like my cable has an unlimited amount of transfer, but a bandwidth rate of 8 megs a second. Hope this helps if not post with more questoins and i will try to answer as best as i can.

5. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

If I read this right, they measure the uploads and downloads? Not the actual bandwidth?

Based on an analysis of typical subscribers, we have set a rolling 30-day limit on data usage per subscriber, called a Usage Threshold. As shown in the table below, this threshold varies based on the service plan you selected. For each service plan, the Usage Thresholds are significantly above the amount of data that is used by a typical subscriber. Every day, we measure your upload and download data usage (“Actual Usage”) to determine if your total Actual Usage, as aggregated over the previous 30 days (“Usage Total”), exceeds the Usage Threshold for the service plan that you selected. At any time, you can see your Usage Total versus your monthly Usage Threshold under the “Manage My Service” located on www.dishmail.net.

Echostar will notify you via your contact email address if your Usage Total reaches 80% or more of the Usage Threshold. If at any time your Usage Total is above the Usage Threshold, we will reduce your access speeds, typically to 128 kbps in the downstream (from the Internet to you) and 28 kbps in the upstream (from you to the Internet) until your Usage Total is 80% or less than the Usage Threshold. Once your Usage Total reaches this level, your access speeds will be restored to the original speed levels by the next day.

You are likely to avoid any limitations imposed by the FAP if your use is typical of the majority of Internet users and consists primarily of Web surfing and a reasonable amount of downloading. The table below shows the monthly Usage Thresholds for each plan. These limits specify the amount of data that you can upload and download before your access speed is reduced. Please note that your Usage Total is far more likely to exceed the Usage Thresholds below if you use peer-to-peer file sharing programs, you use a webcam or you download full length movies, large quantities of music files, full software applications or similar high-bandwidth activities.

EchoStar FAP Monthly Usage Thresholds PackageSilverGoldPlatinum Upload Threshold (MB) 12,3003,0005,000 Download Threshold (MB) 27,50012,00017,000
    1. Upload Threshold is the volume of data that can be uploaded during the previous 30 days before the Fair Access Policy may restrict the user’s speeds.
    2. Download Threshold is the volume of data that can be downloaded during the previous 30 days before the Fair Access Policy may restrict the user’s speeds.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes you are correct.

7. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Thank you. I can let her know she can listen all she wants..lol

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes its a pretty high cap, and if anything its only gonna slow you down for a bit.

9. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Thanks Cman

Smiles,

Cat

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds