Annoying Charms Bar

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr. Ed, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Private E-2

Hi, all. Is there any way of preventing the charms bar from showing up when I'm using the computer and I move the cursor a little too fast from right to left? It's a minor problem but quite annoying as I have to press esc or click on the screen once to put the charms bar back in its place.

I'm guessing there's no easy fix to this as that is what Win 8.1 is designed to do. I would like the only way to access the charm bar is by putting the cursor at the upper right corner of the screen, not having it appear every time I move the cursor right to left.

BTW, this is a Toshiba laptop running 8.1, non-touch screen.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi...You can access those settings by going to the Metro screen

Start typing Settings> Click on PC Settings> Click on PC and devices > Corners and Edges

You'll see some settings you can change. See if any work for you.

3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Private E-2

Hi, Laura. I tried that and there is no setting for swiping right to left. I'll just live with it.....

4. LauraR

I think you'll find that if you disable the corner...particularly the top right, that disables the charms bar. The one that is hit by accident the most is the top right. I have that disabled and don't have any issues with it.

5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Private E-2

Laura, I tried what you suggested but the situation is the same. Here's something interesting: I just noticed that if I swipe from the right edge of my touchpad it will bring up the charms bar. However, if I swipe starting from the middle of the touchpad towards the left the is no problem. I'll have to get used to swiping left from the touchpad's middle rather than from the right side. At least I found a fix that should help. Thanks again for your support.

6. LauraR

Ah...my bad. I didn't know you were talking about your touchpad. I use an external mouse and rarely use my touchpad.

I don't have a Toshiba, but you should also be able to change your settings for your touchpad. I found this youtube video put out by Toshiba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOPAwUkQcjs

Maybe you'll be able to disable it. Btw, I just swiped my touchpad and yes, that is annoying.

7. LauraR

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Private E-2

Thanks, Laura. With your help I've been able to disable the charms bar entirely. I won't miss it since I have the classic start menu.....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds