Annoying Gadget

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Mar 29, 2011.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Hi

A minor irritation and probably has a simple solution but I can't find it. My mum-in-law's laptop (Advent 7301) has Windows Vista HP SP2. That OS has the gadgets think at the side. Well every time she starts her comp a gadget opens up for her antivirus software (avast! antivirus version 6). 1. I can't find away to get rid of it; 2. it appears on left-hand side of desktop, while all other gadgets are on the right.

Thanks

mark59

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In Add/Remove click on AVAST and choose Uninstall/Change then click Change then Next then untick (red x ends up in the box) the Gadget option second from top one and click Next to update the installed components.

Image of the option highlighted in blue.
    [​IMG]

reboot and its gone.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Are you perhaps talking about the sidebar or a widget?

4. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Thanks DavidGP; I'll give it a go next time we're round there.

mark59

5. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Thanks for responding to my request for assistance plodr. As usually was trying to type too fast. I meant to say 'thing' not 'think'. I was referring to the Sidebar. I'm hoping David GP's response provides the answer I need.

mark59

6. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Hi DavidGP

How did you get to that menu? I cannot find it. The settings menu in avast! Free Antivirus 6 looks like the image in the attachment.

mark59

Attached Files:

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi mark59

The shot you posted looks like Avast's control panel that opens when you open the program.

As per David's post he got the Configuration pane by going into Add/Remove:

8. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Hi LauraR

I've attached an image of avast's user interface. I cannot locate either 'configuration' or 'add/remove'. I have clicked on Help Center and typed these terms into the search box and it returns no relevant results. I do not know how to get from the user interface to the menu DavidGP showed.

mark59

Attached Files:

9. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Hi LauraR as a super moderator can you please answer a totally unrelated question. Just noticed I'm now a corporal not a senior member is that a promotion, have I earned by first stripe?:cool

10. LauraR

11. LauraR

You'll have to access it via your Control Panel (i've never run Vista, but I believe it's the same as Windows 7).

In order to do that:

Start button > Control Panel > Under Programs, click on Uninstall a Program > Find Avast > click just once on it to highlight it > if you look up top you should see the option to Uninstall/Change > Click Uninstall/Change> click 'Change' and then click Next> then follow David's instructions

Hopefully, that should help you with it.:)

12. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

13. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I see now. I hadn't realised DavidGP intended me to do it from Control Panel. I'd assumed it was a menu accessible from within avast itself.

I'll give it ago soon; at the moment, I'm working at a PC running XP.

Thanks LauraR

mark59

14. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Thanks guys, problem now solved.

mark59

15. LauraR

Good to hear.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds