Annoying Windows "Help" Messages

Discussion in 'Software' started by Moe_Hawkins, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Moe_Hawkins

Moe_Hawkins Private E-2

Hi, every day when I start my computer, the Windows XP security center gives me a stupid little message in the bottom right corner of my screen saying something to the effect of "you do not have virus protection on your computer, click here to fix this problem". After a long time I got so annoyed that I finally went out of my way to download the first antvirus I could find (from this site) just to get it to shut up.

Now the same message still comes up, though slightly modified; "your virus protection is not activated, click here to fix this problem".

I don't want to activate it. I just want windows to shut up and leave me alone.

This isn't the only annoying message I get. Every once in a while there's also an "attention, there are unused icons on your desktop, click here to run the desktop cleanup wizard" message.

How do I disable this overly retard-friendly help feature?

-adam

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hi and welcome to MajorGeeks.

Go to Control Panel, and double-click Security Center and change the settings in there.

For the Desktop Cleanup Wizard, you can edit the registry.

Details HERE about 3/4 down the page.

3. Moe_Hawkins

Moe_Hawkins Private E-2

Oh God.

How oblivious of me. I looked at that window before. I guess I just didn't read the items on the left very carefully. I thought they were just updates and support issues.

-adam

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds